Dinger

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jimhp02

Dinger

Post by Jimhp02 »

I am brand new to this and have been watching a lot of videos on the tube. There is some really nice shooting at very long ranges. I keep hearing talk of a dinger and tubes. Is there a difference between a dinger and a metal plate (Gong)?

Jim
bpcr shooter

Re: Dinger

Post by bpcr shooter »

never heard of a tube.... but dingers are steel plates with a separate center plate that when hit sounds different.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

The Tube.....TV
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

bpcr shooter wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:40 am never heard of a tube.... but dingers are steel plates with a separate center plate that when hit sounds different.
I'm not convinced that the definition of a dinger is that restrictive!

I have heard the term dinger used to refer to any manner of metal targets, including flat plates, square tubes, round tubes, etc, hung with a wide variety of methods. The common thread that binds them all together is that they make a pleasing sound when struck with a bullet. :D

But of course the fancy two-tone version would certainly qualify!
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

Steve/Avaitor is right, gong targets are targets of opportunity. Pipe works well, plates work also. If it makes noise you're good to go! Have fun. Steve
wyomingsightdrifter.com
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Coming from the two Champion Wyoming Dinger Ringers, that is a sound definition!!
Jimhp02

Post by Jimhp02 »

Love all the dinger ringers. I will be heading to my Farm next Friday and will finally get the chance to shoot my Shiloh Sharps 45-70. I think I will start at 25 yards and hope to get on paper then move outward from there maybe even up to, fingers crossed, 100 yards. Yahoo!!

Jim
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

And then there is this HUM-Dinger courtesy of Shadow 4. It is an 1100 lb. copy of the 1000 yard target in 3D. Each ring is a different metal thickness and thereby produces a different tone. In this case it is set at Big Hill and the range is 1032 yards. The young lady known internationally as Spot is there for reference only and was not there when those hits were registered. :lol: :lol:

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Now that is a beautiful dinger!!! :D
Hope I get to shoot at it one of these days!
Jimhp02

Post by Jimhp02 »

Wow! What a target. I would love to watch some of you dinger ringers hit it. Worth the price of admission!

Jim