Range box options?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Range box options?

Post by Woody »

Brent,

On that box, I used Watco dark walnut danish oil. My preference is Watco Teak oil, but I needed the staining of the dark walnut.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
TAA

Post by TAA »

Over the years I’ve bought (4) items from Woody. A walnut 100-round ammo box, a maple 100-round ammo box, a maple die box and a maple range caddy with small line box. I love maple and Woosy’s work is top notch!

Tom
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woosey, I like that name. :)
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Hey Woosy, don't you just love spell-check? I hope that one doesn't stick but it might. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
TAA

Post by TAA »

So sorry Woody!

I used the 100-round maple box today.

Tom
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Tom, we truly need something to make us smile these days even if it is at Woody's expense. I'm sure he'll forgive you won't you Woosy?
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Woody

Post by Woody »

Only if I fit the description. Now where did the wife hide my bottle this time?

Woosy
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm still regularly using the same box I made 20 years ago. Not a thing of beauty but very functional, rugged and large. One idea I had that has really worked well and I would recommend is putting two hi-fax snow machine track skids under the long sides of your box. It keeps the bottom out of the dirt and water on the ground and off the debris on the bench top. Looks like a old style carpenters box.
mdeland

Range box

Post by mdeland »

Here is my old box still going strong after 20 seasons: You can see the Hi-fax skid on the bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The knotty pine is plenty strong and lighter than hard wood so one can fashion a larger box for the same weight. The carry handle is white oak.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

The hardwood is beautiful but heavy. My old box is also pine. I carry enough heavy junk that the weight matters.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The box is just about right in size for all the crap I carry to the range or matches. Still it got pretty full when time to move back a berm for the next relay. Use it for pistol, midrange (when still going), muzzle loader or clang and bang matches. The plug on the end in the middle is for a carry strap for long hauls.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The carry handle is off set just enough so the box can be carried one hand with a rifle in the boot felt lined, notches. Works out pretty well for a berm move to the next relay if one does not use a cart.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I made mine up out of plywood, dark walnut stained it, gave it a "antiqued", 100 year old look, made it plenty big enough to carry 100 rounds of ammo, cleaning gear, spare parts, tools and the rifle.
Loaded it up and can't walk much further than 20 yards with it, I'd say it's too big. :(
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
BFD

Post by BFD »

Daniel, you do know, I'm sure, that accumulated junk expands to fit whatever space is available. Big or small, the shooting box is always full.