Why go to the 2020 Internationals In Raton?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Why go to the 2020 Internationals In Raton?

Post by Glen Ring »

I think this match will be comprised of the best black powder cartridge shooters on Planet Earth. Some are immortalized legends.
The match is being held at the whittington center. If you've never been there, you're in for a treat.
Jeanne and I are looking forward to seeing how we stack up against the best there has ever been in this sport.

I hope the travel restrictions are lifted and we all get to shoot together in Raton.
We are continuing loading , shooting and training.

A big thanks to the match Directors and everyone that has decided to make this happen.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mdeland

Re: Why go to the 2020 Internationals In Raton?

Post by mdeland »

I think this thing is going to put a big ding in the national and even regional events this year Glen!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I'm afraid you're right..but I am always the optimist.
We had a travel summer planned..but it looks like that's out ..for a few months anyway.
The international match in Raton may be the first and only BPCR match we get to shoot this year.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have seen a notice that currently, the Whittington Center is closed. Their calendar suggests they think they may open 6 April, but I would be against it.

It is going to be a LONG summer.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Brent
We are hoping to get to shoot our first match in June..Maybe.
No silhouette? We"ll shoot varmints and wild hogs all summer.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

A lot is going to depend on how things progress on this Chinese virus thing.
Then it'll be up to the New Mexico governor , to decide when/ if she's going to lift the gathering and travel restrictions. At the moment the all operations at the Whittington are shut down.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

What calibers/configurations do the rifles look like? Weight limit? Barrel length?
BFD

Post by BFD »

Barrels can be as long as you like provided the gun is under 12.2 lbs. 1874 Sharps and 1885 high walls rule but many other American singleshot hammer guns show up

Calibers are either 45s or 40s. With a smattering of others in a variety of packages.
longshot10x

Post by longshot10x »

Say guys I went to the announcements and can't get the entry form are anything to come up.
Maybe we could get it reported.
Well boys lets go do something even if it is wrong!
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Del

Post by Del »

BFD wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:17 am I have seen a notice that currently, the Whittington Center is closed. Their calendar suggests they think they may open 6 April, but I would be against it.

I wonder if moving our NW Regional to September gets us away from all this mess. Or maybe it will be just in time for the second wave they are expecting! Time will tell...
Fortune Favors the Bold...
BFD

Post by BFD »

Del wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:32 pm
BFD wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:17 am I have seen a notice that currently, the Whittington Center is closed. Their calendar suggests they think they may open 6 April, but I would be against it.

I wonder if moving our NW Regional to September gets us away from all this mess. Or maybe it will be just in time for the second wave they are expecting! Time will tell...
There is a chance. You might have a packed house with a bunch of guys trying to get over a long summer drought of bp smoke withdrawal symptoms. I might be one of them.
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Never having fired there, is the Whittington Center an NRA range open to NRA members? Or, is it only for scheduled/sanctioned matches? Thanks.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

bucksnort wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:37 pm Never having fired there, is the Whittington Center an NRA range open to NRA members? Or, is it only for scheduled/sanctioned matches? Thanks.
Normally it's open to everybody, just have to either buy a membership, or pay a daily range fee. If there is some match on a range then you can't use that range unless you're shooting that match, but you can use the other ranges that aren't holding a match.
Lots of folks stop by on their way thru and either rent a cabin or rv space.
https://www.nrawc.org
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?