Advice for building Rolling Block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

4065inMD

Advice for building Rolling Block

Post by 4065inMD »

I am new here so, please be gentle. What I plan to do is purchase a Gustav or Swedish rolling block in 12mm and have it rebarreled in 40-65. I need some advice. I don't want to break the bank here so I am considering a Green Mountain barrel and making my own stock. Thoughts?
TAA

Re: Advice for building Rolling Block

Post by TAA »

Don’t worry about being new....this site is great for new folks!

I have a Rolling Block #5 (I think) and had a Green Mountain octagon barrel put on it and chambered in .38-55. It is off getting color cased, barrel bluing and trigger work (a guy in Mich.) My RCBS trigger pull gage would not budge with the issue trigger. I’m trying my hand at shaping the after market forend, wood finishing, etc.

The only bullets I’ll use are plain base cast. Smokeless powder will be looked at first, followed by black powder afterwards. I have an Unertl 24x scope that will go on it.

Looking forward to spring!

Tom
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

For a new guy on here you demonstrate two very notable virtues,1. Good taste 2. bravery ! :lol: I've built about five or so personally and they are excellent candidates for high grade BPCR's.
The Green Mtn barrels are excellent and I have mounted a good many of them in a wide variety of calibers. They also make very excellent .22 RF and muzzle loading barrels of the proper steel.
The trigger pulls can be made very good as well using a sear lift and main spring over haul. The flat spring can be made to work well or you can convert to a coil spring and strut which I have on one of my match rifles that is very good and more reliable than is the flat springs which almost never break any way if dressed properly. They will occasionally give up an original firing pin but I have never had one break made of modern stress proof steel.
Another neat deal that can be fabricated for the 1902's or any other straight grip model is a Hawken style pistol grip behind the trigger bow which is very functional and looks great.
You have made a good choice no matter what the Prudes say! :lol:
4065inMD

Post by 4065inMD »

I really appreciate the compliment (I think)! I have used a Green Mountain barrel on a non BPCR style rifle and, I really love it. (Mauser chambered in .275 Rigby). Anyway, I have a 1874 Shiloh in 40-65 and it is my favorite rifle. I will be casting my own lead for it soon. I really want to have a companion to it in a roller. This is going to be my first buffalo style build and I have illusions of grandeur.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Dave Higganbotham (sp), who has sadly passed, of Lone Star Fame, sure loved and produced many fine Rolling Block rifles to the public. Frank DeHaaas was another strong proponent of the Rolling Block action along with many other single shot designs. He was kind of known as Mr. Single Shot!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Kenn has LOTS of parts if you need any.....really nice guy to deal with.

http://www.rollingblockparts.com/
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

George Peterson at Treebone carving has semi inletted wood for your roller. When Dave Higginbotham built my roller he used wood from Treebone. My 50-90 hunter is a beautiful rifle. George has some really nice wood.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

[img][attachment=0]6487223_orig.jpg[/attachment][/img]This was not an expensive option. The wood cost less than 300 dollars.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Mighty nice Michael! I've got very good wood from Treebone as well. I also used their Winchester style steel butt plate which I really like.
4065inMD

Post by 4065inMD »

OK, you guys are making me think that I am doing the right thing. I do however, want to do a lot of the work myself. I want it to be MY rifle. Yes, I want it to be really nice but like I said, I want it to be mine. Something that my grandson will keep and pass down. I have a beautiful piece of walnut that I was going to use for a bolt action stock BUT, I really feel that it would be better served as a Roller stock. I truly appreciate all of the input I am getting on this project and I will be posting pictures of the progress. That is, once I start making some. :wink:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Mighty nice Michael! I've got very good wood from Treebone as well. I also used their Winchester style steel butt plate which I really like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The Hawken style grip has a rawhide strip on it for grip and to make it more friendly in cold weather for bare hands. This is one of those Clunkers the Rdnck kids me about! :lol:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

No burl in this stock but nicely grained and in perfect run. Alvin Linde (fine stock maker in the 40's) insisted the best grain run should be from a quarter sawed blank with the grain running slightly up hill. This was most important for one piece stocks but was good for two piece as well because it strengthened the toe area.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

This is the rifle with coil and strut main spring and a sear lift. The trigger breaks clean at bit under 3 lbs if I remember correctly.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The Hawken grip is half inch wide flat iron forged/formed on an anvil and heated with a torch. It is attached in the curl from inside the lower tang and from the exterior up front into the tang with the head counter sunk and flush.