A first for me

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

A first for me

Post by TexasMac »

I’ve been reloading for near 40 years and this is a first. Although it looks like an 18, it’s a Lee #8 shell holder and has been in heavy use for the last 25 years or so for .40-65 & .45-70. It sure put an end to my .45-70 loading. A replacement should be arriving shortly from Amazon.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
kwilliams

Re: A first for me

Post by kwilliams »

45 yrs for me, and I remember that I have ripped the lip off a couple of RCBS holders experimenting with forming cases.
Was surprised the case rim didn't give first.
kw
Woody

Post by Woody »

I did the same thing several years ago with one for 45-70 ,(#14 RCBS), I already had a spare on hand, so no slowdown. Mine failed on my priming tool instead of the press. It had been purchased sometime around 1976.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

TexasMac wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am I’ve been reloading for near 40 years and this is a first. Although it looks like an 18, it’s a Lee #8 shell holder and has been in heavy use for the last 25 years or so for .40-65 & .45-70. It sure put an end to my .45-70 loading. A replacement should be arriving shortly from Amazon.

Wayne
I've had a couple of RCBS shell holders do that to me.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
bobw

Post by bobw »

You guys should put some lube on your cases jeez :) :( bobw
bobw
semtav

Post by semtav »

What's really amazing is that you only have one shell holder :lol:
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Actually I was stretching some cases with the Tim Smith-Lyon stretcher when it broke, which tends to put a good bit of die extraction stress on the top lip of the shell holder.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

semtav wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 pm What's really amazing is that you only have one shell holder :lol:
I've got a bunch but only one for .45-70 size rims. So I ordered two, a Hornady and RCBS, from Amazon since there was no Lee in stock. So I'll have two just in case. But most likely I'll never break another one in my lifetime.

Wayne
dougf

Post by dougf »

TexasMac wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am .. A replacement should be arriving shortly from Amazon.
Are you sure? My Amazon prime orders (now have 2 outstanding) have been pushed to April 21st.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

But most likely I'll never break another one in my lifetime.
I thought that when I ordered 3 extra firing pins for my C Sharps action 45-100. I put the last spare in before I went to Ben Avery. Haven't had to use my Shiloh spares though.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

dougf wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm
TexasMac wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am .. A replacement should be arriving shortly from Amazon.
Are you sure? My Amazon prime orders (now have 2 outstanding) have been pushed to April 21st.
I live just north of Austin, TX with well over a million people in the area. There's been no delays and no problems with Amazon deliveries so far.

Wayne
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I broke two recently when forming 43 Spanish cases from .348 Hornady brass, Wayne. Split two Lee sizing dies as well which was another first. Finally turned a reinforcing ring from a barrel stub, pressed it on the die bottom and that stopped the die splitting. Had to turn the top end of the die down with a carbide tool because with the reinforcing ring on the die bottom it had to be threaded into the press from the bottom.
That case forming from .348 to 43 Spanish even made the Rockchucker whine ! Then you still have to chuck it up in the lathe and turn the case over the web area before you can use them.
Interesting side note , the flash holes had to be reamed after that as they closed some from the big swage down job that spit the resizing dies.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I split a RCBS 50-70 Govt die in the 70's when they were custom order items. I was trying to make Gallager cases from 460 Weatherby. That worked and even though the die is split, I can still use it for it's original purpose. Never did replace it.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well what was so bad about my deal was I was borrowing the dies to form the cases. Actually I replaced it with a new one and kept the two that were split and put reinforcing rings on them. I think now the one I borrowed was already split because he was resizing 348 brass to .43 Spanish as well. I just didn't realize it until I couldn't get them to resize well initially and couldn't figure out why for a bit.
So I replace his with a new one and like you Woody, am keeping the old ones for reloading. :lol:
df

Post by df »

I’ve been reloading since the early 1970s, multiple cartridges and 500-1000 rounds per year. I’ve never seen that.