Scope vs Tangs sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jimhp02

Scope vs Tangs sights

Post by Jimhp02 »

Right now it appears I have too much time on my hands as I have been thinking too much and that can lead me into trouble.

Do you shoot rifles with scopes as well as with vernier Tang sights? If so, different guns or the same gun? Can you go back and forth between tang sights and a scope on the same gun? When do you use the tang sights and when do you use the scope?

Too many questions I imagine. Like I said, I’ve been thinking too much. LOL!

Jim
Woody

Re: Scope vs Tangs sights

Post by Woody »

It is very easy to switch back and forth from iron to scope with these rifles. Most matches have both iron and scope classes. Within the same match, you must choose which sight system to are going to shoot, and stick with it for that match. As my eyes age, I find it very difficult to see with irons on anything but bright days, so I now mostly shoot scope.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Distant Thunder

Re: Scope vs Tangs sights

Post by Distant Thunder »

Jim,

As Woody said, it's very easy to switch back and forth.

I continue to use iron sights on paper targets and I can still see the bullseye fairly well most of time and I do well enough that I don't see a need to go to a scope, yet. I did try scope for both mid-range and Creedmoor, but I didn't really like it. I can not see the number boards most of the time with irons, I could see them well with my scope.

I do use a scope for silhouette and sometimes for gong matches. Gongs I can usually see fairly well depending on the light conditions and I go back and forth between irons and scope for them. With silhouette I have not been able to see those odd shaped animals well for several years. Moving to a scope really improved my scores overall, but only slightly on chickens. The chicken count is a little better most of the time and I believe that is mostly because I moved back to my .40-65 from my .45-70.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder