Kibler flintlocks

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

PEteacher

Kibler flintlocks

Post by PEteacher »

Gamerancher's "New casting bench" post began drifting a bit towards flintlock rifle building, so I thought I would start a new one.

For those of us with less skill and/or patience than those who build rifles from a bunch of gathered parts and a tree, what do you all think about Jim Kibler's flintlock kits? jimkibler.net.

Before I purchased my first Shiloh, I was able to visit and get a tour of Shiloh. Wow! They were so proud of what they do, and made my wife and me feel like part of the family. I highly recommend it. My third Shiloh should go into production soon.

Last summer we were able to visit Jim Kibler and received the same treatment. A .45 Southern Mountain Rife kit is in my future. At least one Forum member here has photos of his completed kit on Jim's gallery pages.

Any comments / experience/ opinions of Kibler flintlock kits?

Jeff
James

Re: Kibler flintlocks

Post by James »

A better place to ask this question.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Sam
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

PEteacher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:00 am Gamerancher's "New casting bench" post began drifting a bit towards flintlock rifle building, so I thought I would start a new one.

For those of us with less skill and/or patience than those who build rifles from a bunch of gathered parts and a tree, what do you all think about Jim Kibler's flintlock kits? jimkibler.net.

Before I purchased my first Shiloh, I was able to visit and get a tour of Shiloh. Wow! They were so proud of what they do, and made my wife and me feel like part of the family. I highly recommend it. My third Shiloh should go into production soon.

Last summer we were able to visit Jim Kibler and received the same treatment. A .45 Southern Mountain Rife kit is in my future. At least one Forum member here has photos of his completed kit on Jim's gallery pages.

Jeff
I ordered a southern rifle kit from them in 45. It should be here sometime this month.
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

PEteacher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:00 am Gamerancher's "New casting bench" post began drifting a bit towards flintlock rifle building, so I thought I would start a new one.

Jeff
I ordered a southern rifle kit from them in 45. It should be here sometime this month.
jwhill

Post by jwhill »

I had one of Jim's kits, very easy to assemble and I understand that his locks are now his own, and look very nice.
NMLRA Past President and current BOD member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Could I talk you into posting some pictures of your kit before you start assembly? I just finished a So. Mtn. rifle from TOTW and it was quite a bit of work to get right. It was my first kit gun so had no idea of what to expect. One thing I did that was a good idea,I got a set of assembly plans I posted above my work area.It only cost 8.00 but lists the order of assembly and shows pictures and drawings of how the rifle is supposed to look. The shaping of the forestock, cheek piece and muzzle cap are critical to the correct shape and architecture of this style of mountain rifle . The plans also point out the most common mistakes made when these kits are assembled.
jwhill

Post by jwhill »

sorry but mine is already built and gone. If you look on YouTube for Jim Kibler kit assembly you will find what you are looking for. I know of one person that said he assembled his in his dorm room with an exacto knife and basic hand tools......they are far and away the easiest kit to assemble that I have seen, and they make beautiful rifles when finished. I'll look for some pics.
NMLRA Past President and current BOD member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Just spent the last couple of hours watching Jim Kibler carving, sawing out stock wood and putting one of his So. Mtn. Rifle kits together.
Man, nothing like a TOTW kit. More like a finished rifle assembly video except for browning and wood finish. Every thing is so close tolerance, all holes in metal and wood pre -drilled counter sunk and tapped ,butt hook cut out ,even the trigger plate drilled and tapped. That's going to get a hard look for my next kit gun even though they use Rice barrels. I don't think they use proper barrel steel but have to say they are accurate and many of my friends love and swear by them.
I want a swamped barrel for the next one, probably in 36 cal.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I finished the video series and was impressed with his product. The Track So. Mtn. Rifle adds a muzzle cap and toe plate which the Kibler kit does not have and also offers keys as well as pins for the barrel lugs. I chose keys for mine which were challenging to fit right but do add some class and versatility to the design.
I think the staples with keys will take the place of Kibler elongated barrel lug pin holes for Tiger Maple expansion which can alter POA. The keys simply have to have the width filed a bit where they go through the staples for elongation expansion clearance.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

I built one of Jim's SMR kits, and it is by far the nicest flintlock rifle to assemble. Only finish sanding is required...no wood needs to be removed. You can add options of your own like inlays, patchbox, toeplate, etc. but I built mine stock. Mine is a .40 cal and is a tack driving killer. I shall be ordering one of his Colonial kits too shortly. Superlative quality throughout.
100_7503.JPG
100_7521.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My is that a nice stick of wood ! Good job!
PEteacher

Post by PEteacher »

D. Taylor, your beautiful rifle is the one I was referring to in my original post as "the forum member who has built one."

In all my research, I have found nothing but praise for Jim and his rifles.

Jeff
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I finally got out to shoot my TOTW So. Mtn. rifle kit gun yesterday. The front sight needed to be filed quite a bit shorter for elevation correction, and drifted a bit left for windage but looks like it's going to be shooter. The ignition was poor so the flash hole was opened up to .063 from .059 and the exterior side funneled after getting it home and cleaned up.
I'm anxious to get back out and work up some loads. Looks like .445 diameter ball and my patch material are going to be a good mix with a charge of 65 grains of 3F as a starting place. That combo works really well in my percussion under-hammer gun in .45 cal.
Getting ready for the Territorials next month and hope to use the new gun in one of those matches. We just got the word yesterday that they were going ahead and having the matches any way, Covid 19 be damned! We hold the Territorial matches now on a private property near Talkeetna and it is much more fun shooting on a make shift range we set up under those pop up canopy's over the bench area. This works out great as this is also a popular Rendezvous property out in the stix's.
Another thing I like about having the shoots out their is a number of us also like bows and arrows so after the days matches are over several of us get out our bows and often shoot a couple of more hours after supper. One of my shooting friends brought six different flat and recurve bows with him last year. I got to give them all a try and that made the event even more fun and exciting.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm curious, does that pattern of Tiger run all the way to the muzzle ?