Old derelict revivals

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Old derelict revivals

Post by Woody »

The 43 Spanish is in essence the 44 Remington and several State Militias issued rifles so chambered. I disagree with your surmise that black will hasten the demise of your rifle. I have for many years used black powder as the primary propellant in vintage rifles with less than perfect bores with excellent results. Some require an extra cleaning patch or two and insure that the bore is properly oiled prior to putting away. Your pictures do not provide enough clarity and detail to properly identify your rifle.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
CWO

Post by CWO »

I was having trouble getting them to post due to the size of the file. I will try again taking pictures of just the action. I've made a chamber cast and it specs out to a 43 Spanish. It has the Navy emblem on the action though not very clear. Trigger is crisp and breech is quite good for it's age. Looked into it a few years ago and it seems to be made by a after market company with available parts at the time. The US Navy where 45-70's and the first contracted Navy rifles where sold to Europe as the front sight was to close to the chamber. Mine is stamper 43 on the barrel alignment marking. Friend owned me a favor and gave it to me said his family have had it since the 1940's. He was from Texas and said the word was it was used in the US Mexico war with Pancho Via (sp). Who knows.. He had it appraised and the gunsmith said it was a 45-70 and have that letter. LOL Fellow that sales Remington parts online stated he had never seen one like it after I sent him pictures. Had no clue. Though he was more interested in the extractor to identify it. Regards Bob
CWO

Post by CWO »

Woody I agree about the blackpowder. Just thought it might be easier to keep the chamber pressures low with unique then trying to work a load for blackpowder. Just thinking aloud. But, intend to shoot blackpowder in it once I get the feel for this old timer. Regards
CWO

Post by CWO »

Better photo's I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CWO

Post by CWO »

Try one more photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Bannerman's and other surplus dealers of the day, did assemble rifles from leftover and or condemned parts. Numerich did the same in the 60's and 70's. I know of no USN 43 or 44 caliber rollers. At one time, Bannerman's had so much stuff that during the Franco Prussian war, they were able fill and ship complete artillery battery's etc. When I was stationed on Long Island in the late 70's, I ran across the final resting place of Bannerman's stock after they left lower Manhattan, moved to Blue Point, Long Island, and finally resided in several barns in Bellport, Long Island. Reminded me of the final scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, when the Government was wheeling the crate into the warehouse. I had the run of the place and picked many treasures, some that I still have.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The groove diameter of a true .43 Spanish is .439 but mine is chambered in .43 Spanish but has a groove diameter of .446 which was the groove diameter of the .43 Mauser and perhaps .43 Egyptian rounds which have different case shapes.
Have a gunsmith check it out for you and then enjoy it.
CWO

Post by CWO »

Ole gun has a groove diameter of .438 and bore of .447 using a chamber pour. The crown shows signs of wear due to cleaning most likely and didn't try to measure at the crown. I suppose the chamber mold might be a little undersized was poured 10 years ago. (?)
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Cut the crown back .250 or so and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised how well it shoots. Oh, remember the slug is the inverse of the barrel interior so your barrel groove will be .447 and the barrel bore will be .438.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Great pictures thanks for posting them. How about a shot of the crown?
CWO

Post by CWO »

Crown worn by years of cleaning with a steel rod I suspect. Not much rifling at the crown. I'm going to try shooting it first and see if it will hold a group of any kind.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I will be surprised if it shoots accurately if the crown is as damaged as you say. It wouldn't cost much to have it re-crowned and it will make a world of difference in most cases. Sure is a neat ole gun and deserves some expert help to get her back in shooting trim.