Harley Road trip Montana Wyoming etc.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

johnl

Harley Road trip Montana Wyoming etc.

Post by johnl »

Gents

Bought a Road King last year and planned a trip down south, well looks like this year is a miss, f-ing Chinese flu. Anyway been down twice both times (by car) end of April, no crowds, school still in but was shocked to see a snowbank at Yellowstone Probably go solo, camp a few nights , hotel others. Thinking maybe end of May first to second week of June 2021. Check out the shop again of course. Little big horn etc, back down through the Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, head out to the Pacific coast highway all the way up to Port Angeles and ferry back to Vancouver Island. I’ll see if a buddy wants to come with me, he has an Electra glide but I won’t wait...seems like the years are going by pretty quick lately.
Jimhp02

Re: Harley Road trip Montana Wyoming etc.

Post by Jimhp02 »

Sounds like a wonderful adventure to me. No, don’t wait on anybody. Go while you can still go!

Jim
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Better check ahead and plan your route carefully. A lot of the campgrounds are still closed, and some state owned campgrounds aren't available to nonresidents, and only to residents by reservation only.
Most of the national parks/monuments are open to only go in and look, no restrooms or other stuff available.
National forest campgrounds and trailheads are still shut down.
Strange world these days.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Buy the video.
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If you are going to zip down southbound through Wyoming, give the route through the Wind River Canyon a try. It's really nice. Going through Yellowstone won't hurt the eyes too much either :-). That way you can also visit the Cody Museum.

Chris.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

And if you take the Wind River route, continue down through Utah to either Zion/Bryce or Arches/Canyonlands National Parks, and to the southwest corner of Colorado for Mesa Verde before you cut west to the Grand Canyon if you have the time. If you go to Bryce/Zion, cut south into the Kaibab National Forest and do the north rim of the Grand Canyon. So many great places to visit in Utah/Arizona.

Clarence
johnl

Post by johnl »

OLReliable wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:48 pm Buy the video.

Hopefully you didn’t on your wedding night :lol:
johnl

Post by johnl »

gunlaker wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:58 pm If you are going to zip down southbound through Wyoming, give the route through the Wind River Canyon a try. It's really nice. Going through Yellowstone won't hurt the eyes too much either :-). That way you can also visit the Cody Museum.

Chris.

Chris, yep that’s the plan. Hey Don, I’m talking about next year 2021. The border is still closed, maybe, maybe fall this Sept but I don’t like the shorter days for riding and who knows, maybe a 2nd wave of the virus may poke it's ugly head again and I don’t want to get stuck away from home. Planning for next early summer, that sounds the best.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ah hell Yellowstone will probably blow by then it’s only 40 thousand years over due 😂
johnl

Post by johnl »

Don McDowell wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:58 pm Ah hell Yellowstone will probably blow by then it’s only 40 thousand years over due 😂

Or the big one (earthquake) Juan de Fuca plate that stretches from Oregon to pass the tip of Vancouver Island off the British Columbia Coast. Seismologists say a 10 on the Richter scale is also overdue. I can see the ocean from my front window and the house is 1000’ above it. If the big one hits maybe I’ll have ocean front instead of ocean view :lol:
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

johnl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:41 pm
That was a long time ago, and the only thing I can remember is some kinda rodeo bronc riding event. In Vermont, tho'...
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

johnl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:50 pm
Don McDowell wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:58 pm Ah hell Yellowstone will probably blow by then it’s only 40 thousand years over due 😂

Or the big one (earthquake) Juan de Fuca plate that stretches from Oregon to pass the tip of Vancouver Island off the British Columbia Coast. Seismologists say a 10 on the Richter scale is also overdue. I can see the ocean from my front window and the house is 1000’ above it. If the big one hits maybe I’ll have ocean front instead of ocean view :lol:
That Wasatch front has been rumbling quite a bit this spring.
The way things have been this year, it's anybody's guess LOL
johnl

Post by johnl »

OLReliable wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:53 pm
johnl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:41 pm
That was a long time ago, and the only thing I can remember is some kinda rodeo bronc riding event. In Vermont, tho'...

Hehe, OLR, it’s been almost 30 years since my wedding night too. I’m glad there isn’t a video since I wouldn’t recognize the actors, we were a lot thinner with no wrinkles or grey hair :lol: Take care.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Clarence wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm And if you take the Wind River route, continue down through Utah to either Zion/Bryce or Arches/Canyonlands National Parks, and to the southwest corner of Colorado for Mesa Verde before you cut west to the Grand Canyon if you have the time. If you go to Bryce/Zion, cut south into the Kaibab National Forest and do the north rim of the Grand Canyon. So many great places to visit in Utah/Arizona.

Clarence
Yeah those areas are nice to see too. When my wife and I went to Zion park we stayed at this place called Zion Mountain Ranch which was really nice. Not cheap, but the little cabin was good and the food was really nice.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

You want to be right in the middle of the park when it blows. It'll just hurt more if you are farther away :mrgreen:

Chris.