Drill and Tap

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Drill and Tap

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I use a 23 inch scope due to that at 10.34 spacing and have plenty of elevation and my face is nowhere near as high off the stock. Dovetail mounts will only make this much worse....a bad idea in my opinion.

KennyWasserburger.

6 time Scope BPTR Champion.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'd follow Kenny's advice. I have scopes of various lengths. One is a 28" on 17" spacing. It turns out that on my .45-2.4" with that 28" scope, when set at 1000 yards, my eye is at the same height as it is with my MVA LR soule. I sure wouldn't want to have to be even higher off the comb like it would be with dovetail mounts.

The 23" scope is a big improvement in that regard. Even better if you use DZ mounts which put the scope even lower. With the new MVA A series scope you could even run it at 7.2" spacing. That's what I use on my highwalls mostly.

Chris.
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

I have another question about the wear/ contact points between the Malcolm-type MVA mounts and the MVA Series 2000 23” scope with the 10.34” spacing. From what I see in the photos on their website and my novice understanding of how the scope moves under recoil, I would assume that the scope tube wear points are the under rib and the dimple contact points inside the retention rings. I would guess that to reduce wear that these points they should be lightly lubricated; that the “average” recoil line that forms on the scope tube is going to be about 6” (+/-) long - the tube moves about 6” on recoil? Thanks for the help.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Steve Sudbeck wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:00 pm I have another question about the wear/ contact points between the Malcolm-type MVA mounts and the MVA Series 2000 23” scope with the 10.34” spacing. From what I see in the photos on their website and my novice understanding of how the scope moves under recoil, I would assume that the scope tube wear points are the under rib and the dimple contact points inside the retention rings. I would guess that to reduce wear that these points they should be lightly lubricated; that the “average” recoil line that forms on the scope tube is going to be about 6” (+/-) long - the tube moves about 6” on recoil? Thanks for the help.
I wipe the Pope rib with a very very small amount of oil on a cloth before putting the rifle away. The scope doesn't move a whole lot under recoil. Maybe an inch or two.

Chris.