Drill and Tap

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Drill and Tap

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Get it drilled and taped and have them put on the blocks at the same time won’t hurt a thing and you can still use the irons.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

SFogler, using the front/ rear dovetails is a great idea - no D & T and scope purchase/ use down the road is possible - I am guessing then that the spacing of the mounts using the dovetails will be appropriate for a full length scope? I would also then guess that the D & T of a barrel is so shorter scope models can be used? Thanks.
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

Never mind SFogler, I answered my own questions on the MVA website. Thank you sir.
Straightneck

Post by Straightneck »

Steve Sudbeck wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:01 am Never mind SFogler, I answered my own questions on the MVA website. Thank you sir.
What is the answer please? Can you reach 1000yrds. with a full length scope mounted in dovetails?
Three "G's" made AMERICA GREAT
GOD-Girls-Guns
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I bought one of the full length scopes last year but don't think I will ever mount it. Probably use it for trading fodder as the MVA's are just so much more practical. I think most folks don't like the idea of having capped scope screw holes in their barrel for some reason more than they will actually ever notice them once they get used to the look. Especially if the tiny cap screw slots are timed with the barrel.
The other thing is that when using the sight dovetails the scope mounts are so far apart they usually have to be quite large to accommodate the actual traverse movement required for the same windage and elevation adjustment that the shorter spaced scopes do not need.
trapper

Post by trapper »

FWIW, I purchased a 7000 series scope with creedmoor mount last year. I mounted it on a 45-70. The people at MVA told me I would be lucky to get to a thousand yards. They said 800 would be more likely depending on load. I haven't had a chance to try it at any distance yet. I thru it on just before hunting season and got a sight setting for 150 yards and went hunting. Haven't been out sense the season closed last fall.

Trapper
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

with the dovetail mounted scope you will loose a lot of elevation almost half because of the much longer sight radius 26 to 30 inches verses 17 inches art
Kenny Wasserburger

And the dovetails can shoot loose.

Remember the dovetails are cut much deeper than the drill and tap.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

mdeland

Post by mdeland »

A common depth for dovetail cuts is .090. I have used them as shallow as .060 on thin barrel guns. Most 6 x 48 screws go to a depth of at least .100 to .125. Holes have far less area for pressure to react against than do dovetails. Truth be told if you have .050 of steel left between the bottom of the screw hole and the bore or chamber, you will never have any trouble.
Kind of a rule of thumb is that the screw thread depth should be at least as long as the screws cross section for full strength purchase.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

My full length MVA on a 30" barrel with Creedmoor mounts works just fine for Silhouette - I haven't tried it at 1000 yards because I put the tang and globe back on till my eyes get bad. I wasn't too worried about the depth of the dove tail cut since I took off the rear barrel sight on a heavy octagon and put the scope base on in it's place. Same with the globe. So it uses the same depth cut as barrel sights.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

On my 34 inch barrel LRE in 45-2.6 my MVA scope on 17 inch mounts works well for Silhouette and out to 600 yards. I have always used irons out to 1000 yards. My tang sight was the MVA Buffalo. My 2.6 also has the windage front MVA which is often useful to crank in 20 minutes so you can maintain a better cheek meld using the tang sight. There are certainly a lot of routes to get to the desired result. That is where the exchange of info on this site shines.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Straightneck wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 am
Steve Sudbeck wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:01 am Never mind SFogler, I answered my own questions on the MVA website. Thank you sir.
What is the answer please? Can you reach 1000yrds. with a full length scope mounted in dovetails?
Yes you can reach 1000 yards with a full length dove tail scope. The main problem is proper cheek weld to the stock at long distances. The eye piece of the scope is very high off of the stock. The other problem is black powder fouling residue on the scope lens. On one of my rifles with a full length scope I had MVA install a Loomer Reticle with horizontal stadia lines to solve the cheek weld problem. The bottom stadia line is the one I use for shooting the 1000. But I must say that I would never use that scope in competition. The 23" mounted at either 10.34" or 7.2" is the way to go.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

Yes, It can reach 1,000 yards.
Here is my Shiloh #2 Creedmoore, 28" barrel with 3000 series MVA scope and Creedmore mounts on the 1,000 yard line at Byers, CO in 2019.
It was drilled and tapped at Shiloh.

Byers2019.jpg

Ed
Rockridge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenny Wasserburger

Great picture.

KennyWasserburger

mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Note the scope block spacing in the picture. It is not as far apart as will be the dovetail to dovetail mount for the full size scope which means the mounts will have traverse ever more to make 1000 yards.