And I diverge .............

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Re: And I diverge .............

Post by Glen Ring »

Woody
We have four ponds and one is devoted to big, channel catfish that we feed almost daily. When someone brings a kid to our place or even an adult that has never fished, we have a bluegill pond and a big catfish pond. Once they catch a few sunfish and have the hang of it we walk them to the catfish pond and let them battle a 10 pound channel catfish.

I agree with you on the bluegill...Other than a big crappie, bluegill have been my favorite fish for over 50 years.

My favorite is to filet the strip on either side of the dorsal fin, boil it quickly in crab boil, then put them in the fridge to cool. Those fingers of goodness and Cocktail sauce are GREAT !!
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, me to on Walleye but bluegills and yellow perch are hard to beat! Boy did you score big Glenn! I used to have a Bear Grizzly that I really liked but the Wing is fully the equal if not a tad better in speed and no stack draw, mine is 58 inches nock to nock.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Woody, can channel cats be caught through the ice?
Woody

Post by Woody »

They are slower, but yes, they do eat in the winter. We only have a day or two each year that the ice is strong enough to fish through. But, cold water fishing is always the best eating. These cats are in the 5-6 pound range now, but I'm seeing a few year groups, so they must be reproducing. Glenn, only one pond, but I can cast from the front porch and catch a fish.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Yes, this wing hunter is 58 incher and NO stack whatsoever. I have a custom made recurve two piece that cost hundreds of dollars 20 years ago..I have a take down Howard Hill bamboo longbow custom made...Looks like the $5.00 wing will be my hunting buddy this winter. My custom recurve pulls 60 pounds and is 58 inches long..I think this wing is a better shooting bow at 45..and just as fast or a little faster.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The bow is ready to present to Grand daughter for her birthday. I wrapped and glued the moose antler arrow rest and grip with braided decoy cord and all that is left is to wrap a red thread arrow nock on the bow string. It draws right at 26 pounds at 22 inches which I'm guessing is about right for a 10 year old girl. She knows I'm building it for her and asked that it be enough weight for small game hunting.
I shot it this AM and am well pleased with how it turned out. It's a quick little bugger for a board bow of Hickory backed IPE belly wood. It's quiet and smooth but does stack a bit at 23 inches and is at max draw at 24 which should be just under 30 lbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I came up with the idea last minute of using the very strong Dacron braided decoy cord for the grip which not only looks nice and gives a good grip but has the added benefit of reinforcing the glue joints of the grip lamination's to the bow limbs. I was going to use rawhide shoe lace but like the decoy cord much better and it is more durable than would be leather that can get wet and stretch.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm really getting the hankering to try a Comanche style short horse bow of about 50 lbs. Been doing a bit of research on them and like the simple and practical design for a powerful little fast bow adequate for downing buffalo as well as war. I want some Old Sage for that project though but might try a laminated one in Hickory and Ipe. This combination sure makes a quick, durable bow with minimum set and that looks really good as well.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I have made " horse" bows and have one done now I'm going to give to a bud. Most folks would not believe that a bow so short with such a light ( 35 to 45 lbs) draw weight could be an adequate weapon...but they are. This osage self bow is about 35 pounds draw weight..maybe closer to 40. The Bow is 42 inches long and about an inch and 1/4 wide. Draw is about 15 inches, arrows are longer, and with a dog wood arrow 10 yard penetration is very good. Most native Americans used the pinch hold on the string...not the three finger English draw. The bow stacks quickly ( except the ones i backed with sinew) and the release is clean. 30 feet alongside a running buffalo or Human on a horse is plenty close especially while holding more arrows in the bow hand that could be quickly shot one after another. I'll put a steel tip on the dogwood arrow because after about 1600 the native Americans had plenty of steel points that were traded by the Spanish, French....

" Primitive " technology was pretty darn good on a horse.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The main reason that the short horse bows are so quick and powerful for their length is because they bend through the grip area. This decoy cord discovery is going to be very useful from now on for both rigid grip and short bows that I make.
I decided I'm going to make a Comanche style bow with the Hickory back and Ipe belly wood I have available although not traditional as it will be next spring before I can get my piece of Bodark from Kansas that my son in law cut for me and has put up and drying out.
I want to make some arrows as well for it. I have some caribou leg sinew and will hopefully be able to collect some more next month.
Now to get some turkey wing and tail feathers from my hunting relatives in Michigan.
I can knapp some flint points but will probably make some steel ones for hunting and target shooting. I think I will go with ceder for the shafts.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

The sinew backing will give the bow much more snap and protect it from breaking. i usually back the sinew with a snake skin...like the one Jeanne killed in her chicken coop today...But it's hot, the snakes stink and I'm lazy today.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Glen, what do you use to glue the sinew to the back of the bow with? How do you get the snake skin to lay flat against the presumed uneven surface of the sinew backing?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well the bow was a hit for grand daughter! The whole family was excited to see and handle it as I taught them the proper and safe way to string it and some does and don'ts of bow care. A set of proper carbon arrow are being ordered and she decided that three fingers under would be her best string purchase so will make her a leather shooting tab for the job.
I don't think she is quite strong enough to string it yet by her self without stringer as she could only draw it to 15 inches. I think it will be a perfect draw weight and length at 48 inches as she grows into it.
Caribou season coming on in a few days and hope to get started on the Comanche bow when we get back later this fall.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I use heated hide glue...not the kind in a bottle...the kind that looks like coarse brown sugar. Get a crock pot devoted to nothing but hide glue...water, hide glue, heat and make it about the consistency of syrup. Pound the dry sinew into fibers and dip in the hide glue , lay on the bow...like bricks on a wall. After it's all done let it dry for a couple of weeks in low humidity and the sinew will usually pull the bow into reflex. When you tiller the bow the hide glue will snap crackle an pop..don't have a heart attack..That's normal. Tiller the bow . I like fresh snake skins on a bow. Peel it off like a sock, split the skin down the belly and apply some titebond 2 to the bow and lay the skin on the bow...it will probably be too big and that's ok. Make sure it's ON the bow and massage the air bubbles out. Let it dry , checking on it periodically, for a couple of weeks. Trim, glue missed edges and then make sure tiller is still good.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Glen,I'm wondering if Tite-bond 3 would work for bonding the wet sinew. It dries tough and is water proof. It is one of the preferred glues for laminated bow making as it remains pliable when cured. How water resistant is hide glue when cured?