Quigley vs. Valdez

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Quigley vs. Valdez

Post by TexasMac »

I watched Valdez Is Coming for the umpteenth time last night. The shots Quigley made were spectacular but the ones Valdez made were even better. :wink:

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
DAVE ROELLE

Re: Quigley vs. Valdez

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Great movie for sure Wayne, wanna guess the range, see ya next Saturday 😉
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

yes, great movie, My wife's uncle was dialog director, and he and Bert visited her in RI after the movie and brought her a piece of turquoise from Mexico when they were shooting it. NO my wife will NOT let me have it to make a watch chain fob.

If I was there I would have told Bert. ' It's a Sharps, and they RECOIL!!!

great movie though....bases on Alfego Baca.
Ken
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Another featuring long distance shots that comes to mind is Legends of the Fall and this obscure 1981 production called The Tracker starring Kris Kristofersen. The Tracker is actually pretty good and can be seen on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9bulhCKfLg
Sam
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'd recommend the book that "Valdez is Coming" is based on. Elmore Leonard first wrote a short story that covered the opening sequence about the crowd gathered around the cabin of an accused murderer. The short story had an epilogue which didn't fit the later novel. Later, Leonard reworked the short story and extended it into the novel. Take a look--the book is well worth it.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
august west

Post by august west »

I just rewatched Valdez too. It's not only a great Sharps movie, it's one of the best Westerns, period. The long range scenes could have been done better - more recoil - more lag time between firing and the bullet hitting, to give you a sense of the distance, etc. but it has real heart. Everybody in it plays it to the hilt, probably because they're glad to be working with a heavy hitter like Lancaster, but I think El Segundo stole the show.

And the book is great, too - Elmore Leonard is the king of the tight action novel. "Hombre" is another example of a great movie made from a great Elmore Leonard novel.

Quigley is solid fun too, but Alan Rickman elevated it and gave it real gravitas.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

One big difference, Quigley used a vernier tang sight and Valdez used the Lawrence barrel sight. Big difference!
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

august west wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 am Quigley is solid fun too, but Alan Rickman elevated it and gave it real gravitas.
I certainly agree. He did the same for Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves staring Kevin Costner in which he played a similar character, the evil Sheriff of Nottingham. I was real sorry when I read that he has passed away.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'll note that Burt Lancaster's 1960 film, "The Unforgiven" showed the cast using Sharps rifles during an Indian attack of their dugout. The scene also shows Burt doing a little loading of cartridges, including cutting the sprue off of the cast bullets, although I'm not certain that all of it is exactly right (others here could certainly educate me on this). The scene certainly does not involve long-range shooting, but it is still fun to watch.

Griff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dangerous Freedom
august west

Post by august west »

TexasMac wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 am
august west wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 am Quigley is solid fun too, but Alan Rickman elevated it and gave it real gravitas.
I certainly agree. He did the same for Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves staring Kevin Costner in which he played a similar character, the evil Sheriff of Nottingham. I was real sorry when I read that he has passed away.

Wayne
A great loss. He literally stole that movie out from under Costner, and Costner was furious about it. Make sure you catch one of his last films where he plays Louis XIV - really good.
august west

Post by august west »

Griff wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:28 am I'll note that Burt Lancaster's 1960 film, "The Unforgiven" showed the cast using Sharps rifles during an Indian attack of their dugout. The scene also shows Burt doing a little loading of cartridges, including cutting the sprue off of the cast bullets, although I'm not certain that all of it is exactly right (others here could certainly educate me on this). The scene certainly does not involve long-range shooting, but it is still fun to watch.

Griff
Lillian Gish looks like she's done some shooting before! She stood up to evil Robert Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter", too.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I recall an old flick where the hero asks where his son's toy (lead) soldiers are so he can melt them down for bullets. I'm wondering if that was in "the Unforgiven?" May have to see if I can find that on a DVD. Ditto "Valdez is Coming."

George
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

In the movie Valdez Is Coming, the people chasing him stated “Those shots had to be 800yds.“ Valdez said “closer to 1000”
I haven’t seen the movie in ten years, but I believe that’s how it went.....that movie started me dreaming about Sharps when I was a kid.....
Tom Klinger
Griff

Post by Griff »

George Babits wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:11 pm I recall an old flick where the hero asks where his son's toy (lead) soldiers are so he can melt them down for bullets. I'm wondering if that was in "the Unforgiven?" May have to see if I can find that on a DVD. Ditto "Valdez is Coming."

George
You're correct, that scene was in "The Unforgiven", although it the character's brother. The book (written by the same author as "The Searchers") also includes that detail.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

If I'm not mistaken it was in the Patriot where Mel Gibson melted down his son's toy soldiers over a campfire to cast round balls.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."