Arizona - John Mullins

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Arizona - John Mullins

Post by Glen Ring »

John Mullins has been national Champion with every silhouette rifle ..except BPCR.
The National Silhouette championships have been cancelled and the only big Silhouette match ( fingers crossed) will be the Internationals in Raton New
Mexico this summer.
If some of you Arizona folks know him...Please encourage John to shoot 22 BPCR and BPCR Silhouette.
Watching him win a BPCR championship would make him the best all around Rifle silhouette shooter I think and it would be cool to watch him do that.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
jackrabbit

Re: Arizona - John Mullins

Post by jackrabbit »

I hope he enters, it will definitely add to the already stiff competition!

There's not a horse that cannot be rode, or a cowboy that cannot be throw'd, and let me tell you fellas, that ol' BPCR mustang can buck! We might get to see if ol' John can ride a real bronc...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
take care, Cody
LazyM

Post by LazyM »

Cody,

A horse that can't be rode? Have you forgotten Steamboat? If you can't remember, look at your license plate! LOL!

Having said that, and having seen you shoot, I would love to see the both of you shoot! It is a great treat to see great shots, and I truly hope it happens!

Brian
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you Brian, and I agree. There will be lots of great shots there and it will be some tough competition. I am looking forward to it.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Competition makes us all better. Mullins is a nice enough guy...but some of his buds... I just hope we get to shoot this year. We had so may places planned to shoot at. We appreciate the match personnel. Are the 22 BPCR targets reset or free standing.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Unless something changes in the next month, the 22 targets will be re-settable. Dan Zimmerman was overhauling the chickens to make them work better. The are a few vocal critics of the re-settables, but our questioning the shooters shows that the majority prefers the re-settables. We have received a lot of positive feedback about them. There are some draw backs, no doubt, but the advantages out weigh the drawbacks in my mind.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I have proven at our range they are just as easy to knock over as free standing...but the Chickens have not been reliable. I hope Zimmerman can figure it out. We are missing Raton.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

As memory serves, back in the day there was a bull named "Bodacious" no one could ride. After he tore up and nearly killed some pro bull guys, they retired him to the cow pasture.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Bubba Dunn rode Bodacious in as did Tuff Hedeman. Tuff got no score on his first three rides and on his fifth ride, after scoring a 95, did suffer a major face injury on a ride on Bodacious requiring several surgeries as he broke most of the bones in his face. The bull was retired and died at the age of 12. Most riders last only 1 -2 seconds. Meanest bull ever, he wanted to hurt ya. This is if my old memory is correct, if not think it is close.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My friend Ray Ethridge won the bull riding championship on a killer bull in the late 60's. He was the first and only one to hang on the 8 seconds. He said it wasn't his riding skills, it was he was to scared to let go of the rope. :wink:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Charlies video reference above is Bodacious retiring Tuff Hedeman :wink:

The video here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpks2dktc4 if you'll go to 1:40 in the video, You'll see the anatomy of a bull that knows how to buck. Terry Don West didn't stand a chance
#1 to much power
#2 To much speed
#3 To much ............Bodacious

Bodacious knew how to use his speed, power & athleticism.
Tuff Hedeman said he throws his head back to smash your face. Sorry, He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Bodacious, had most all, within the first jump, back on their pockets, on the end of their arm, two very bad things to be doing at that moment. After the first jump he most always had that little skip & hop to gather himself so that he could explode high into the air with his front end, part of that leap high into the air, he used his 100 lb head as help to go as high as he did. It's the same thing when you do a layup in basketball. You leap off of that right leg, go up lazy with your left knee, not much elevation, so to speak. You leap off that right leg & drive that left knee upward with great force, the higher you go, the bull did the same thing with his overly large head. After the explosive/high leap straight up, it was time to now, fall from the sky weighing 2200 lbs & then kick straight up over his head. Explosive/high leap straight up, 2200lbs falling out of sky with your hand tied to it, vertical kick over his head, then the circle around to the left.

Anybody that did actually ride him, he didn't get himself gathered the best in the skip & hop, before the explosive leap, he didn't have his day.

Bodacious was not a killer bull that wanted to hurt you. At 1:47, pause the video, that bull fighter is World Champion Loyd Ketchum. You will see Loyd in a lot of bodacious clips, a lot. If you can stop it at the right spot at 1:51, Loyd has his hand on Bodacious cheek, he has Loyd lined out, but, instead, Bodacious turns left, back towards the catch pen. Loyd Ketchum grew up about 15 miles South West of my house, my brother married his 1st cousin. We may have grown up in the same "era". Ask Loyd next time you see him if Bodacious was mean, he'll laugh at you & tell you not in the slightest. Watch his clips, he'd give them no more than a passing glance. Check out the clip of Jerome Davis later in vid, Bodacious done about all he could do to step around Jerome, he had him dead to rights, let him go as always. Though Loyd will tell you Bodacious did have an affection for Loyd, to seem to like to chase him around in that circle. I told him I thought it looked like to me that you liked it when he chased you around in that circle, Loyd just smiled at me :wink:

You learnids drag what ever rithmatic, geometry, algebraic instruments you want out, but, bull rider looses. He was simply a bull that really didn't want you on his back & he had a pattern that worked :wink:

The "killer bull" was hyped, just like the little game of chase in a circle with the bullfighter

I've spent 55 years in a rodeo, at a rodeo or watching a rodeo someplace
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I don't think that he throws his head to smash your face, but he does throw his head because he knows it will get you off his back. Every move that bull makes is made because he knows and feels at the time what it takes to get the rider off, he will move in the right direction every time, just by feeling where the rider was. He just figured out as he got older that bringing the rider forward as he was bringing his head up, got the job done quicker, Very intelligent bull, but I agree was by no means a killer bull, or he would have hurt some riders bad after they were on the ground.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I wonder if John Mullins likes bull riding..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

For all we know, he may not have even wanted his name mentioned in the first place.