some questions for you lever action boys

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tasmanian Rebel

some questions for you lever action boys

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

There is auction close by me on several lever action rifles ,original, and the bidding will start tomorrow. I have no idea what they're worth as I'm mostly a single shot guy. they are1] win.model1895 30-40 cal 2]win model 1873 in32-20 cal 3]win model 1894 in 30-20 cal 4] win model 1892 32-20 cal 5] win model 1894 in 32WS caliber, 6] win model 1892 30-40 cal 7] win model 1894 in30/40 cal,8] win model 1886 in 33 cal. All appear in good shape. I liked in particular the 1873 model. Any of you know if these guns are rare and how much they're worth?
Keith Lay
Dan O

Re: some questions for you lever action boys

Post by Dan O »

PM MLV he is probably the best person to ask.
Dan
Tasmanian Rebel

Good point Dan O, I will so hopefully he'll see and respond before tomorrow.
Keith Lay
Woody

Post by Woody »

Keith all are desirable. Condition, condition, condition.. I've got got at least one of each. Get them cheap or pass.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

U listed 2 1894's in 30-20 and 30-40. I'm not sure what that is. But no expert for sure. Unless u meant 30-30? Th
Tasmanian Rebel

I thought those were some oddball calibers too Charlie but that's what the auction catalog says. Woody how cheap is cheap-details man :) . for what it's worth one 1894 in 32-20 caliber was made in 1907 and the other '94 was made in 1906 and in 30/40 caliber.
Keith Lay
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Taz,
The model 94 win was made in cal 32-40, 32 win spl, 25-35Win, 30-30, 38-55,---- and maybe 219 zipper???
definitely NOT in 32-20, 30-40. Those chamberings were in other Win lever guns. 32-20 in M1873 and M1892
the 30-40 only in M1895 lever guns
I think the seller does not know what the H they are doing.
Maybe Stay Away from this sale?????
beltfed/arnie
Tasmanian Rebel

I thought the calibers were odd too Arnie.
Keith Lay
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The 1895 was made in rifle and carbine. Chambered in both 30-40 Krag and 30-06. Sometimes difficult to tell looking at the caliber stamp which caliber it is. Of the rifles mentioned I see very few 1895's in good original condition. Seldom see a 92 in 38-40 or 25-20 in original good condition, rifle or carbine. Most 73 rifles I see are 32-20 and most carbines are 44-40.

Price on collectible's of that time period has been steadily going down. Value is all about condition and provenance. If it is an auction sometimes a bidder that just wants that gun will bid it out of sight so Good Luck.

Good to hear from you Doc
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Doc - if you still have time, get on GunBroker and check prices on similar rifles. Some will be stupid high and can be ignored as should those that are too low, but the middle 50% will give you an idea of range. If the '73 is in good condition, is the most valuable. A good price on the 92s & 94s, the ones most easily found, will be under $1000. Obviously, the further under the better. Especially the 94s, which are readily available. Remember the 3Cs of collector guns. Condition, condition, condition. Of course, if one is a factory engraved presentation model that was given to Teddy Roosevelt, that might affect the value. ;) Good luck bidding.
Glenn
august west

Post by august west »

For starters, the most desirable are the 1895 and the 1886 - both great rifles in excellent, useable calibers. In good condition, depending on price, these will be your first priority. The rest are a buyer's market - based on condition and caliber they might well appeal to someone who needs to fill that hole in their collection. As others have said, your calibers are probably incorrect on some of these.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Keith, those 73's you're interested in will should bring from 1200 to 3K, depending on condition and which generation they are. Keeping in mind that they made 73's up to the 1920's.
The early 73's were pretty soft barrels, and it's really tough to find one that doesn't look like 7 miles of bad road when you look down the barrel.
32-20 is a fun cartridge.
Keep in mind that if you go to that auction those rifles are worth just exactly what you're willing to pay for them. :wink:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Go to GunBroker and do an "advanced" search of COMPLETED AUCTIONS fort he rifle you are interested in. You'll have to sort through them to see which ones actually sold. If there were no bids, skip it. That way you are seeing those that actually sold and what they sold for. Best way I know of to establish a going price. You can check the condition too, by looking at the description and pictures of ones that sold.

George
Tasmanian Rebel

Thanks to all you above. I wound up not buying any of them. Marsha and I went to church as usual and were about 20 minutes late. They had already started on the rifles when we got there. I took my borescope with me but since they had already started wasn't able to see bore condition on any. The small room was packed and I could only see from afar but could have bid on one had I wanted. I made up my mind I was going to bid 800 tops since I couldn't inspect the rifles. They STARTED at $1000 and all eventually sold for 1450 to $1750. I don't think anyone who bid on them inspected the bores. I'm not a collector only a shooter but has been an interesting journey and found a lot of info from all of you above and will be better prepared when an opportunity presents itself. Thank ya'll!
Keith Lay

PS. On top of the prices above was a 15% tax/fee from auctioneer
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Hard to beat out the "gottahaveit" buyers. They get into a bidding frenzy. The last couple of years I've bought 3 or 4 p4 Winchesters with very good bores. All made before 1915 and all below $900. Some even had original or Marbles tang sights on them. Last one was a half magazine '94 in 38-55 with a Lyman tang sight. That was the most expensive one at $825 plus shipping. The others were all closer to $700. Sounds like you didn't miss anything as the starting prices of $1000 were high, on the '84 anyway. For the '73, '86, and '95, if they were in decent condition, a starting price of $1000 was probably appropriate. One other thing, sometimes prices can vary quite a bit depending on location.

George