45-2 7/8 case question please

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

chetlongshooter

45-2 7/8 case question please

Post by chetlongshooter »

I have a SHILOH LRE in 45-2 7/8ths that I have been shooting since 2006. Initially I purchased BELL cases for the rifle because BACO only had that brand available at that time. A little while ago I asked the question on this forum regarding the favored brand of cases for that cartridge. I was informed by several forum contributors that the NORMA basic 45 cal. case was the preferred type case for the 45-2 7/8ths. I subsequently found and purchased 50 NORMA basic cases and have been using them. The only difference I can find is that the NORMA case will hold very slightly more powder, (1F GOEX) than the BELL case. The difference is 3 grains of 1F when filled to the top of the case through a 24" long drop tube. The case wall on the NORMA case at the mouth of the case is 2/1000ths thinner than the BELL case, average of 10 cases of each brand. Having shot the 50 NORMA cases several times now I just can not see much difference at all in the results on target between the NORMA and my older BELL cases. I use GOEX 1F powder 95 gr, CCI BR-2 primers, BACO CREEDMORE 550 grain GG bullet at 30/1 sized .459, SPG lube, newspaper under bullet and .060 WALTERS veg fiber wad under that. Compression in both cases is just enough to allow the case to cover the top grease groove on the bullet. I use just enough neck tension for either brand of case to keep the bullet from creeping out of the case. So, what am I missing about NORMA cases being the best for this cartridge?
And, please, I like NORMA cases, I like LAPUA cases, I use both in centerfire rifles and like them a lot. The question is that there is a darn slim selection of 45-2 7/8ths cases available. Are the BELL cases all that bad that they can not equal the NORMA cases.
Thank you for any guidance that can be provided.
Shiloh Sharps rifles and the Shiloh crew, ain't nothing else like them
DaveC

Re: 45-2 7/8 case question please

Post by DaveC »

I would imagine that the primary “defect” of the Bell cases in the minds of those who answered your question is that Bell Brass is out of business and the cases aren’t readily available any more. So the choice would be Norma, Bertram, and stretched or otherwise modified cases originally in other chamberings. Norma would be the best of this bunch, as the other two are more prone to crack or split on firing, with shorter service lives. Sometimes Bertram also has problems with dimensions: length, rim thickness/diameter; sometimes even base size.

If you can find a source of new Bell, Jamison, Nonte-Taylor, Huntington, or, for that matter, WRA, UMC or USCC cases in your caliber, they would probably be as satisfactory as the Norma cases.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Bell was good brass it just wasn’t made any more then BACO started stretching cases and had some problems with Winchester as the parent case. That’s when Norma was discovered for me. I have a lot of stretches BACO and it’s good from starline parentage but the Norma is a bit more consistant.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I have been shooting the 2-2 7/8 since 1994.

I used Bertram, stretched Win 348 from BACO, and Norma. The Norma by far are the best with regard to quality and, more importantly longevity.

I have won 6 BPTR NRA National titles 5 with the Norma brass, set records at 200 to 1000 and 1 mile all with Norma cases. :idea:

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
chetlongshooter

Post by chetlongshooter »

Thank you Gentlemen for your time and comments.
Shiloh Sharps rifles and the Shiloh crew, ain't nothing else like them