Trapped air in cases

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Trapped air in cases

Post by kwilliams »

My best GG loads in my .40 cal require a slip fit bullet in case. Once lubed the trapped air pushes the bullets out. How do manage 50 to 100 at a time from becoming a mess at a match? Putting a board across all of them with a ingot on top to let it all bleed out seems archaic.
thanks
kw
art ruggiero

Re: Trapped air in cases

Post by art ruggiero »

i give the bullet a couple of twists on the way in . works for me art
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Art
The twisting just does not seem to release the air....the slip fit is piston like. I don't mind fiddling with a few but more than that its a hassle. I was using a taper crimp die while holding the bullet down, but better accuracy achieved by not doing that.
kw
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Place them in MTM cartridge boxes, with a layer of foam rubber padding above them, the right thickness to put a bit of pressure on the bullets when the lid is closed. After a few hours of sitting that way, the air will have bled out. No extra effort. If the clearance is that tight, the lube will hold them in place, and they won't rattle when you take them to a match.

Clarence
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Clarence:

I like it! Perfect idea, simple fix too.
best
kw
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

kw,
I also slip fit my bullets.
BUT: I carry my loaded cases to the range in their cartridge box.
And the bullets remain in pistol ammo boxes- paper patched,etc --or, rarely nowadays lubed bullets.
I only slip fit bullets into enough cases and into my load block just before a given relay
beltfed/arnie
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I basically do what Clarence said. Works perfectly for me. If I don't do it, my Shiloh .45-65's and .45-90's will all start pushing the slip fit bullets out. It does't happen with my .45-70 Long Range Express because the .45-70 seems to be just a little bigger at the case mouth.

Chris.
clearcrickshooter

Post by clearcrickshooter »

I got frustrated as well,so I took it a little more drastic,but doesn't seem to hurt anything......I have various dental instruments in my array of gun tools,etc so I poke a tiny hole in the wad (or 2 wads) and things
stay in place. Clearcrickshooter
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I think you all would be better off with a bit of taper crimp using a Lee die after bullet seating to keep them consistently the same.
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

When you press the case into your lube cake just off-set the case a little bit, air will escape or you can just poke the lube cake in the case with a piece of wire. Push the lube cake down to the wad, again air will escape, then press your bullet home.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Whoops! I re-read the problem! The issue is with GG bullets, I was thinking PP. I have little to no experience with GG! However, now that I think about it you could load a lube wad under that GG! Extra lube might help with the barrel leading.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”