Paul Jones mould question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Paul Jones mould question

Post by TexasMac »

I don't consider myself a collector of moulds & will sell a good mould once I no longer have a rifle of the specific caliber or don't like the bullet design.
As such I've owned and sold several BACO & Paul Jones mould over the years leaving me with three of Paul's. One is .40 caliber Creedmoor stamped P&D Jones 40001 on the sprue plate. Another is stamped P&D Jones 45022-2 & is a "money bullet" design. I assume the "D" is for Paul's son. These two and the other's I've sold are/were not stamped with a specific cartridge which makes sense since they can be used in various cartridges.

The mould I have a question on is stamped PAUL JONES .45-70 on the sprue plate The box it came in is marked 45001 which makes sense since the bullet is clearly a Creedmoor design. 45001 is NOT stamped on the sprue plate or anyplace on the mould body. Could this be a very early PJ mould? Just wondering?

BTW, for what it's worth, the BACO moulds I have or have sold are every bit as good as the PJ moulds. So I always chuckle when I see someone paying an exorbitant amount for a PJ mould when BACO offers an identical version.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
mdeland

Re: Paul Jones mould question

Post by mdeland »

Wayne,have you ever cross mic'd a bullet base from the various mold makers? Pauls would generally hold half a thousands and you could tell they were round by how well they came out of the mold. Lymans for instance are often out .003 or more which is pretty common for a cherry cut mold. Pauls and I believe Brooks are lathe bored. I don't know about Baco.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

mdeland wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:24 pm Wayne,have you ever cross mic'd a bullet base from the various mold makers? Pauls would generally hold half a thousands and you could tell they were round by how well they came out of the mold. Lymans for instance are often out .003 or more which is pretty common for a cherry cut mold. Pauls and I believe Brooks are lathe bored. I don't know about Baco.
Mike,

Yes I have & the BACO moulds are half a thousands or better as are the PJ. I've had some out-of-round Lyman's but also some mic'd as good as the PJ or BACO. It's hit or miss with the Lyman. All the SAECO moulds I have are within a thousand. I believe BACO's are CNC lathe bored but not sure.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Wayne, why do you associate an 001 suffix with a Creedmoor? Not all are.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

cw50-70 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:38 pm Wayne, why do you associate an 001 suffix with a Creedmoor? Not all are.
That may very well be the case as I'm definitely not a Paul Jones mould expert. But the profile of both the 40001 & 45001 are identical to the bullets identified in the photo below as Creedmoor bullets. The 45001 looks identical to the Brooks 544gr Creedmoor. BTW, the photo of the various bullets is from an article by Mike Venturino.

There is a possibility that the 45001 could be a copy of a postell since the designs are very close. The Creedmoor designation on the box is written by hand & the mould came with a rifle I bought some time ago so I assume the rifle owner identified it as a Creedmoor.

But let me get back to my original question. The mould is stamped PAUL JONES .45-70 on the sprue plate The box it came in is marked 45001 which makes sense since the bullet is clearly a Creedmoor design. 45001 is NOT stamped on the sprue plate or anyplace on the mould body. Could this be a very early PJ mould? Just wondering?

Wayne
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

http://www.shilohsharps.com/forums/view ... hp?t=24744

I’d like to know the answer also. I have one of those moulds just like that one also Wayne.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

And if they are bringing $375, send me the money to get rid of this grease groove inferior bullet.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

cw50-70 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:38 pm Wayne, why do you associate an 001 suffix with a Creedmoor? Not all are.
So, based on a link within a link that VectorMan posted (https://web.archive.org/web/20111206164 ... moulds.htm) it appears that we are both correct. The .38 to .45 moulds with suffix 001 are Creedmoor designs. Suffix 001 are not Creedmoor’s in the other calibers. Could it simple be that the 1st moulds that Paul made for these calibers are the Creedmoor design?

And to answer my original question one poster indicated his mould was marked 45/70 & was from Paul in the mid 90’s which may have been when mine was made. I also noted at the above link that the .45 cal list stops at mould # 45021 & Paul’s website copyright ends at 2011. Since my 45022-2 “money bullet” mould is not listed I have to assume it was made sometime after 2011.

BTW, VectorMan, thanks for the links.

Wayne
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Glad to help Wayne. You are one of my hero’s. Love your book and I’m shooting a Browning BPCR with PPB and having a blast.
I saw you at the OK BPCR last year. You and Chris Good was working on a guy’s rifle that broke down. I shoot with Chris about every month. He was my spotter in OK.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

VectorMan wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:33 pm Glad to help Wayne. You are one of my hero’s. Love your book and I’m shooting a Browning BPCR with PPB and having a blast.
I saw you at the OK BPCR last year. You and Chris Good was working on a guy’s rifle that broke down. I shoot with Chris about every month. He was my spotter in OK.
Ah shucks, you made me blush. :oops: BTW, if I'm one of you hero's than you standards aren't very high. :lol:
See my PM to you.

Wayne
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wayne - if it is any help, I have 2 Jones molds. i ordered both by calling:
* One is marked 45-70 only on the sprue plate. The paper he sent me with the mold is a full description:
... Jones 45-70 Creedmoor Long Range
# 45001 540gr 30:1 - 538gr 20:1
.459 x .450 Nose
The other is the original design of Dan Theodore's Money Bullet. It is marked only on the sprue plate .... D & P Jones 45023
Regards
John
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wayne, PS ... the price of the Creedmoor was $195 - money in the bank ! :D
Regards
John
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:49 am Wayne - if it is any help, I have 2 Jones molds. i ordered both by calling:
* One is marked 45-70 only on the sprue plate. The paper he sent me with the mold is a full description:
... Jones 45-70 Creedmoor Long Range
# 45001 540gr 30:1 - 538gr 20:1
.459 x .450 Nose
The other is the original design of Dan Theodore's Money Bullet. It is marked only on the sprue plate .... D & P Jones 45023
Apparently, from all the feedback and limited research, it seems that Paul and/or his son were not consistent on how the moulds or sprue plates were marked.

Wayne
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

FWIW: My 3 PJ moulds are only marked on the sprue plate with their logo and mould number.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"