Primer tool shell holder for 50-70

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

4065inMD

Primer tool shell holder for 50-70

Post by 4065inMD »

I have been searching the information superhighway for a shell holder to use in my Lee priming press. Since I am more of a Country Roads kind of guy, I am surely not finding any help. Can anyone be of assistance? Somewhere, somehow, someone is priming 50-70 Govt cases.
powderburner

Re: Primer tool shell holder for 50-70

Post by powderburner »

If thats the flat shell holder lee does not make one. I use an rcbs priming tool for the 50s.
The 50 is too big for the lee.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
axman

Post by axman »

A press mounted priming arm or ram prime will do.
I also use a RCBS hand tool for the 50’s
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

I was using the Lee Auto prime and was quite happy with it but when I started on the 50's and the 44/77..as Powderburner stated....Lee dont make a flat shell holder to suit. I bought an RCBS but mistakenly bought the 'universal' shell holder... which is universal only if you dont shoot the big rimmed cases I mentioned. The RCBS unit which takes the standard loading press shell holder with lug or step on the bottom.. is a good unit. I actually went with the RCBS version of the press mounted Ram Prime and have been very happy with it. Single primer at a time but I dont find it dramatically slower than having 100 primers sitting in the tray. We're only talking minutes here...not hours after all. hth

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It shouldn't be to hard to turn one on a lathe , bore out the rim seat and end mill the opening cut out. Heat treat it and done.Take one for an example to your local machinist but he will probably have a minimum charge so it will be spendy but done right it only will hurt once.
All the machine work can be done before parting it off.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Mike it isn't worth the fuss. Shell holders for the Lee are steel but housing is pot metal and the opening is to small. If one opened it up it might break. They work great and would be great but for the shlockey sh*t they are made out of. Lee was a greaser shooter so figure it out. :lol: bobw
bobw
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

I have lathe turned both 12 and 10 gauge shell holders for my Rock Chucker and for my RCBS priming tool for priming brass hulls. They don't need to be hardened, especially if all you are doing is priming.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Good point Woody, I was thinking shell holders for sizing when I made the statement as I broke two Lees while making 43 Spanish cases from .348.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

I bought two RCBS 31. One for the loading press and the other I cut the bit off the bottom and it fits my Lee hand primer just fine.
4065inMD

Post by 4065inMD »

I just got two RCBS #31 shell holders and ground one down. It fits both of my Lee priming tools and now I guess I have to reload. I only have 20 cases so they will get used quite often. I appreciate all of the advice. :D
august west

Post by august west »

The RCBS Ram primer is great - use your normal shell holder.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9165-Ram-Pr ... ag=mh0b-20
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Woody

Post by Woody »

Bought this in the late eighties. C-clamped to my bench and stored away when not in use. Fast, easy, and sensitive. Will prime any large or small size primer. Uses standard RCBS type shell holders. Buy once and move on.

RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool - MidwayUSA
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012932670/

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.