Ball seater

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

chetlongshooter

Ball seater

Post by chetlongshooter »

A question for the Forum please. Would the SHILOH Inline Seater Die work as a hand operated ball seater? I am trying to recreate an early Sharps reloading kit and have been unable to find/purchase an original Sharps ball seater for my 45-110 rifle.
Thank you.
Shiloh Sharps rifles and the Shiloh crew, ain't nothing else like them
Clarence

Re: Ball seater

Post by Clarence »

Chet,

i don't think that would work very well in general. I use one in .40-70 SS and seat bullets with light neck tension and the Shiloh press attachment; it still takes a bit of force on the press handle to seat them. It might be excessive doing it by hand. And, there is a 1/4" bolt on the top of the seater, part of the seating length adjustment. i suppose that, if you were seating with no neck tension, you could make a wooden ball to place over the 1/4' bolt.

one more thing-those seaters are designed to seat bullets of 0.408" or 0.458", depending on the caliber. I was unable to use the seater with bullets slightly over 0.409.

The runout on ammo loaded with those seaters is very good--just barely wiggles the dial indicator on most rounds.

Hope this helps.

Clarence
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Where can one find a photograph of what you’re trying to make
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Sellers Book, page 350. All shown there were non-adjustable-one bullet design, one overall length. I don't recall seeing any from the day that were adjustable.

Clarence
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Does the Shiloh in-line cedar work any better than the riding competition dies bullet seater die
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Does the Redding bullet seater work any better than the Shiloh seater
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Chris, I believe the advantage that the Shiloh inline seater has is that it is cut with the same chamber reamer as their rifle. Probably tighter tolerance than the Redding. I have both and the runout with Shiloh's inline seater is hard to beat.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Okay