Just placed my first order!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dano Dog

Just placed my first order!

Post by Dano Dog »

I have to call tomorrow and make the deposit and set up a payment schedule. I have been saving for 5 years only to have a family member get into a bit of legal trouble, but that is behind me now. I am excited and have to wait. My friend will be making an order soon too. I will be driving through Big Timber twice in the next couple of weeks on our way to and back from Mount Rushmore. So I plan to visit the store and get some more ideas. I know that most said I should get the pistol grip stock, but that profile of the straight stock just looks right to me. I want old school.

I have a number 3 on order in 45-90. Semi-fancy stock with pack harden finish. 32 inch barrel, LR Buffalo Soule, and a number 113 sight up front. I had to get the pewter fore end and Hartford Collar. I know that I have some time to change the order, so that may change as I get the lust for other upgrades. I retire in four years and move from the Peoples RepubliK of Kalifornia to Idaho. So I am looking forward to some friendly competition and travel.

Thanks for listening to a giddy 53 year old...

Dano
NRA Patron Life Member
pacecars

Re: Just placed my first order!

Post by pacecars »

Congrats from one giddy 53 year old to another. I too am a fan of the straight grip. I have only had one Pistol grip Sharps in a Montana Roughrider in .40-70 SBN, the rest have all had straight grips. I don’t shoot in competitions so it is not a big deal to me. Be careful, changes can add up fast but are always worth it, especially wood upgrades.
Real gun powder is black.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Congrats on your new rifle.
If you've not been to Mt. Rushmore, if you drive up 16A from the south you not only have a most interesting drive (assuming you are not pulling a large RV) thru tunnels and over bridges that spiral over the road, you'll get terrific views of Mt. Rushmore on your way there. Be aware that the monument can be very crowded during the summer, though the conronavirus may keep the numbers down. The Badlands Nat'l Park is only another 1.5hr east, if you have the time. Another good place to visit. And the Little Bighorn Battle (Custer's last stand) on the way to Big Timber is most worthy of a visit. The Museums in Cody are also excellent. So many great places to visit. So little time. Have a great trip.
Glenn
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

polished barrel, brass screw escutcheons,
oil finished stock, so you can build it up yourself as you want.

small money for big improvements. this is xtra fancy just for you to see.
enjoy...Ken

by the way. your local gunshop will tell you..

STOP COMING IN...I'LL CALL YOU WHEN IT'S HERE.
I used to bring coffee.....HA
Ken
IMG_2735.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
august west

Post by august west »

Congrats from another straight gripper. I placed my order last month. And now we play the waiting game. Start getting cases. I know 45-90 is available now but next year it may not be. These case companies go out of business with alarming regularity.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Congratulations on your order!

You used the correct wording: "first" order :wink: :lol: :lol:
bobw

Post by bobw »

Shotgun butt? or military? Having the gun fit you well and comfortable to shoot is more important than cosmetic options. bobw
bobw
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

I feel your excitement! Ordered my Quigley last July, anxiously awaiting the call to tell me production is beginning. Congratulations!
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Got my pay up or we'll come pull your flowers and kick your dog letter today :D on the #1 in 44-77 I put on order last year. :)
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

There is a Hartford model in the Shiloh Inventory as I type this. Similar to what you have described, it's currently in 45-70, but for an additional $280 you can have it rechamberd to 45-90.

Why wait!

Ed
Rockridge
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

LRE 45-70 on order here - most of the bells and whistles added to include exhibition wood - I had a Hartford which I just sold - I got the pistol grip this round as I tended to twist my wrist shooting from a bench on a straight stock. I also ordered thru Mr. Goodman as I am 65 and aging in dog years now, the reduction of a year or more of wait is well worth his fee for this old man. These rifles are very simply put, very well made and fun to shoot - you will have many enjoyable moments with a Shiloh Sharps (including just holding and admiring it).
ShermanCoShooter

Post by ShermanCoShooter »

Hi Steve, what does exabition wood mean? Does Shiloh offer it? Or is it from a third party, thank you
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

Sherman, “exhibition” graded walnut is the highest grade of wood that Shiloh offers as an upgrade option. What I am hoping it means on my rifle is a piece of wood with a lot of busy coloring contrast through the butt/ front stock evenly balanced on both sides. You can Google wood grading, costs and examples of grading levels on the net; I would call wood grading an art more than a science. The Hartford model I just sold had a beautiful stock ordered in 2005 as “extra fancy”, if I receive a stock similar to that wood quality on my new rifle, I will be happy. There are some photos on the Shiloh site of exhibition grade wood - they are beautiful.
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

It took a few years, but I placed my order for my second about a month back. This time I'm going traditional with a Hartford in .50-70 with the military buttplate. My first was a #1 Sporter in .45-70 and I can use it to shoot BPCR if I can ever get the time to make it back over to Friendship again.
Dano Dog

Well, it has been a year and the changes keep coming.

Post by Dano Dog »

I upgraded to Extra Fancy wood with $50 hand select for Tiger Stripe. I also went AAA finish, and a polished barrel. I deleted the Hartford collar. I also went with fire blued screws and brass escutcheons. I am staying with the MVA Long range buffalo soule and 113 front sight.

I am still debating a 30" vs 32" barrel. I have the pewter forend so weight could be an issue if i dabble in a competition or two. I have made up my mind on a straight stock. I know pistol grip stocks are better for torque management and accuracy, but I just love the look of a straight stock. I went from a $4200 gun before taxes, shipping, and excise fees to a $5200 gun. Since it will be my only rifle, I figure i should make it count.

When I called about the changes, I asked about the production timeline. I was told I would have to wait about another 4 or 5 months before getting the build letter. So it looks like it will be close to a 2 year wait. I am ok with that. I knew this would be a journey, and I am loving every minute of it.
NRA Patron Life Member