Bore cleaner between shots

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

5070guns

Bore cleaner between shots

Post by 5070guns »

I am currently shooting 45-90 using Swiss 1.5 and a 45-110 using Swiss 1.0. What is a really good bore wipe/cleaner to use between shots ?? I live in Bend, Oregon, so very low humidity.
Raven

Re: Bore cleaner between shots

Post by Raven »

M Pro 7 works well. I mix it with a bit of ballistol (turn milky) wet a wool Pig wiper (Buffalo Arms) followed by a dry patch.
chetlongshooter

Post by chetlongshooter »

This is a question that could have lots of different responses. I personnally use, and have now for several years, straight Prestone antifreeze. The green stuff. I put a handful of 2"x2" patches in a small Tupperware bowl with a sealable lid and pour in the Prestone till the patches are wet through. Then I squeeze out the excess and use 1 patch between shots with my Shiloh LRE 45-110.
The Prestone is an excellent black powder solvent. Prestone is also designed to protect seven different metals from corrosion. Bought by the gallon Prestone is very affordable. I got this idea from one of MATTHEWS books so can not claim it. Works well for me and I have no plan to change.
Shiloh Sharps rifles and the Shiloh crew, ain't nothing else like them
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, Prestone is deadly poison and feels really crappy on your hands. :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

What's wrong with ballistol and water? Or straight water?
bobw
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

mdeland wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:03 pm Well, Prestone is deadly poison and feels really crappy on your hands. :D
Prestone is NOT deadly poison. You have to drink quite a bit of it before it makes you sick. Trust me, I know. Getting it on your hands won't hurt a thing.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I like using the Napa water soluble cutting oil and water mixed at 7 parts water to 1 part oil.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I use Volkswagen antifreeze, cut to 50-50. I soak them up in plastic sandwich box, then press them in a potato ricer. For really hot days, I don't press as hard, and on cool, damp days I squeeze them out harder. It works very well. Using Brad Rice's lube recipe, I can get by with one patch for silhouette. Shooting target rifle, I run 2 patches, just to be sure.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, I guess Google must be wrong about the toxicity of Prestone Antifreeze. It is rated category 4 toxicity orally and cat 2 repeated exposure.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Ethylene Glycol (the active ingredient in Prestone) if ingested causes renal tubular necrosis which will lead to kidney failure. It is more of a problem for pets who will lap it up because it is sweet. It is not a problem for shooters unless you drink it out of the bottle or eat your patches.
5070guns

Post by 5070guns »

I thank you all for responding, I'm going to try the Napa Oil mixed 1 to 7 parts water.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Don McDowell wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:44 pm I like using the Napa water soluble cutting oil and water mixed at 7 parts water to 1 part oil.
Exactly the same as my mix (7:1 water & Napa oil). BTW, squeeze the patches after soaking so they are damp. You definitely do not want them wet enough for the solution to run out of the chamber when you push one into the bore. I've found from experience that patches that are too wet can result in bore leading & a mix with too much water soluble oil will result in vertical stringing. Definitely do not go below 7:1. Here's an article on my results: http://www.texas-mac.com/My_BPCR_Bore_Leading_Saga.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

Just curious, what are the paper patch people using on there bore pigs between shots?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

As I've gotten older I've started to do a bit of research on toxicity of chemicals I used to put my bare hands in quite often like raw gas, kerosene , antifreeze and acetone. Most if not all of these are absorbed through the skin and can cause big trouble later on in life so please do some research and use proper protective gear like nytile gloves if your going to have repeated long term exposure to these chemicals and compounds.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

napa soluable cutting oil, or any cutting oil is HIGHLY allergic. it contains bronoopol, nitropropane 1, diol,
trust me...you do NOT want to get this on your skin.
terrible all over body itching, burning, allergy tests, pretazon runs...two of them...

I read labels now...

If you must...rubber glove it.....Ken

PS soap and water worked in the 1880S and it works now..