Case length

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

Case length

Post by pacecars »

Maybe it is the OCD in me but when Sharps came up with the 2 7/8” case, why didn’t they just make it 3” instead?
Real gun powder is black.
kenny sd

Re: Case length

Post by kenny sd »

their ruler was broken

or....too much rum
or ...they let me measure it....I'm not too goo at those things..

really....they wanted to get a specific amount of powder in the case for the best accuracy for the calibre..

in the 'Quigley' calibre....100 grains worked best...it can be loaded with more, but once having an original in that case, your really have your hands full with 95 or so...

Ken
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I guess it is like the “Hartford Collar” in that someone knew at some point.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I guess it is like the “Hartford Collar” in that someone knew at some point.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

point of deminishing returns on powder capacity verses velocity art
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I think the 45-120 is now of much use. I could not get it to shoot worth a darn. I hear of success with the 45-110 but my biggest I currently own is a 45-100 2.6
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm a real fan of the 45-70 for everything but feel that the longer cases afford more load flexibility than does the shorter case with BP. One has room for extra powder, grease cookies, wads etc, without having to compress the snot out of everything to squeeze it all in.
It's a different animal with smokeless or duplex loads though as it has a very good bore to case capacity ratio for the higher pressure propellants yet still can do yo-mans service with BP.
august west

Post by august west »

I've thought about this and would be curious if this isn't also a factor: There's the issue of having a case that will hold a long distance performance charge, and also a long distance performance bullet, in a cartridge that won't fall apart in your hand. Most of the original photos of hunters shows them using belts to hold their ammo. Try putting a cartridge in a belt, then pulling it back out, if only 1/4" of the bullet is in the case. Yes you can load a 45-2.4" with a lot of powder, but the bullet hangs way out there. A 45-2 7/8" will hold much more, plus a long bullet, in ammunition that you can use on the frontier in a hurry. This may not be an issue, but if I was going to for-real depend on this ammunition to feed me and save my life, I would want something that could take some rough frontier treatment without falling apart. Would be curious to hear other's thoughts.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

In 1877, after years of experimenting. Sharps went with the 40 90 as the best long range ctg. (read Freunds book) and the 40 70 SS as the best mid range catg. again Freund was partial to this round.

the older heavy loads were to drop a buff in its tracks at 2 to 300 yards,, the 40 90 was capable of longer kill shots and that took over the field in the late 1870's.

all depends on what you like and want to shoot too...Ken
august west

Post by august west »

By "Freund's book" do you mean the book about Freund by Ballentine? Is there a book by one of the Freunds out there?
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes