Keep it or send it back

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

NFrame

Keep it or send it back

Post by NFrame »

So I have been shooting replica Sharps rifles for a while in 45-70. The other day I got an itch to try something different so I found a guy who had a Shiloh Sharps in 40-70SS. Gun was set up exactly like I wanted it. Was an online transaction. Gun was in like new condition but there was an issue with the trigger. Gun could only be fired after it was cocked by engaging the set trigger. You could not drop the hammer any other way. I called the factory and they said they had never heard of this happening. I contacted the seller and he agreed to take it back. Problem is I have already ordered dies, moulds, sizer, bullets and brass. Trying to figure out it I want to send it back to him or just send it in and get it fixed at my cost.
Thoughts?
pacecars

Re: Keep it or send it back

Post by pacecars »

It depends on how much you have invested in it. Would the seller be willing to pay for the repair?
Real gun powder is black.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Contact Kirk at Shiloh. He will help you out.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I doubt if it is anything very serious. Might just be a sticky fly in the tumbler, or dirt in the trigger mechanism. As someone has already said, talk to Kirk.

George
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

welcome to the forum!!! you can call or ask in the "support" section of the forum. Kirk (the owner) will answer it there as well.

I would keep it if its exactly what you want, but if you decide to get rid of it, the equipment you have purchased will most likely work for a new one.

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
august west

Post by august west »

The 1874 mechanism is extremely simple and strong. Its durability and easy field repairability were big selling points. There's nothing wrong with your rifle that can't be fixed quickly from the sound of it. The lock and triggers can be completely stripped in 3 or 4 minutes. If the rifle is the way you want it, it's definitely, definitely worth shipping to MT for a fix.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

NFrame,

I am pretty sure you called yesterday while I was heat treating and couldn't come to the phone. I told Lucinda to relay this message to you---

Some one in the past has probably tampered with the trigger bar.. If you feel comfortable, take it out and look at it and call me, if not then send the gun back and I will get it solved if we can't do it over the phone. It is probably not that big of deal.

Call me today, I am open all day, I am messaging you my number now.
Kirk,
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

set trigger screw may be adjusted too high . not allowing the sear to engage the lock.
clean it out good, watch the fly , make sure it's clean,
take the set screw all the way out, and see if that works,,then adjust..

The shiloh lock is one of the strongest, and I cann't see this happening. may just be a piece of dirt in the action.

Ken
NFrame

Post by NFrame »

Ok, we are fixed. Big thanks to Kirk. Had a burr on the back of the trigger that was keeping it from coming all the way back. Once I got the trigger out and smoothed it out, she works fine. Guess I am keeping her.
Thanks!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Now that is real customer service! Nice handle, I have two of em in 44 Mag. 8 5/8s inch, dash two and 629 four inch, dash 3. I re-barreled the long one and they both are really accurate with Keith bullets.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I told ya so! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: