match scoring and shooting levels

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

august west

match scoring and shooting levels

Post by august west »

Where can I find out about shooting levels (AA, master, etc.) and what is involved with moving through the levels? Is this classification system used only for NRA events?

Also, I don't understand how to score a target - scores like 14-x etc. mean nothing to me and I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Thanks
Ryan
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
DeadEye

Re: match scoring and shooting levels

Post by DeadEye »

Ryan, If you go to the NRA web-site you can download the rule book for Silhouette. It will answer your questions. It's about 36 pages but they're small. It is used at all NRA matches of course but most matches will follow these rules even if they are not sanctioned or registered. In some cases there are changes to the rule book to meet local conditions or preferences. These are usually explained at the start of the match or posted, it's good to check. The Classes are explained under the Classification Section. Imagine that!

So far as scoring a target you would need to download the Target Rifle rule book. It too has a Classification System.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
august west

Post by august west »

Thanks very much!
august west

Post by august west »

So, read both books. If I show up at a match, having no classification, I'm started off with a record book and assumed to be Marksman or B class?

Reading this table, at the B line, what are 40, 60, and 80? What do the numbers below them mean? (0-15 for instance). None of this is explained.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

First Match, you are classified as "Master-Unclassified" for
purposes of awards. That has always been the rule for NRA matches.

Then you are reclassified for the next match based upon that first score
you have written into your temporary score book
beltfed/arnie
Last edited by beltfed on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

OH, the 40,60,80 refers to a 40 or 60, or 80 round match
the 0-15, etc refers to the score range for that class.
beltfed/arnie
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

To be a little more specific........
0-15 for B class means that a shooter than has a score of 0 to 15 total animals in a 40-shot match (out of a possible total of 40 from shooting at 10-chickens, 10-pigs, 10-turkeys & 10-rams) and will have shot shot a B class score. Does not matter what classification one may actually have earned in the past.
For instance, if the shooter got 1-chicken, 5-pigs, 4-turkeys & 2-rams the total (or aggregate) score would be 12 and that score would fall into the B class.
Even if one has earned a AA classification, if their total is 0-15 for that 40-shot match the shooter has shot a B class score. That does not change the shooter's classification. They are still AA, even with their B class score.
To move up a class, say from B to A or A to AA, one must shoot two of the higher class scores within one or two years (check me on this). From AA to AAA or AAA to master, it takes three of the higher classification scores within two years.
One can move down in classification, but that rarely happens as one must petition the governing body in order to do so and they are generally, like me, too old to care and are shooting for the joy of doing so.
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

BTW - the OP is close to the River Bend Gun Club (about 20 minutes outside of Canton, GA) so is well situated for shooting BPCR & occasional BPTR matches with a great group of local competitors who will help him out.
Glenn
august west

Post by august west »

Thanks very much - and thanks to Glenn for the heads up about shoots close to me. This makes sense now!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Believe they shoot .22BPCR in Gainesville, GA, as well.
You are about 6hr from the matches in Friendship, IN and the same from Ashland, KY. Plan to spend the night as they are generally 2 or 3 day matches. You'll find info on them or people you can PM for more info in the Match Announcements and Match Results forums.
Have fun.
Glenn
august west

Post by august west »

Thanks very much - been to Friendship a couple of times. I need to get a rifle first! :D