45-110 ammo boxes?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: 45-110 ammo boxes?

Post by gunlaker »

I should also add that the price of the brass for that .45-110 will make pretty much any nice wooden box look very cheap.

Chris.
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

bryany wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm I once saw a guy bring his rifle to the line along with a canvas sack of ammo. Maybe that was you?

I've used the MTM boxes in the past and still do for some types of ammo. It just struck me as funny to spend serious money on a rifle and then get all butt hurt cheap on ammo boxes.

Bryan
Nope, no canvas bags for me. For my 40-65 I have MTM boxes. I know, $5 boxes for a $3,200 rifle. I don't get that since the boxes are for the ammo, but okay.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

gunlaker wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:38 pm I should also add that the price of the brass for that .45-110 will make pretty much any nice wooden box look very cheap.

Chris.
I agree, that's why I will have one or two of those for taking to the line. But in my loading room, I can save some coin.
Just asking for some insight, info from folks more experienced than myself with the big 45's.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

losttrail wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm
gunlaker wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:38 pm I should also add that the price of the brass for that .45-110 will make pretty much any nice wooden box look very cheap.

Chris.
I agree, that's why I will have one or two of those for taking to the line. But in my loading room, I can save some coin.
Just asking for some insight, info from folks more experienced than myself with the big 45's.
Fair enough!

When I use plastic boxes for my .45-110 I've actually been using 20 round slip top cases by J&J Products. I like them way more than the MTM plastic cases. They are much thicker and made of a slightly more flexible material. They will hold .45-110 rounds base down, even with a paper patched bullet seated only 0.1" in the case. The only downside is that they only hold 20 so you need a bunch.

Chris.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm staying out of this discussion, since I use MTM green plastic boxes to get to the range, then transfer to my a wooden line box for the match, and I can make as many wooden ammo boxes as I want. At least I use a wooden box on the line. Of course, I use a plastic and foam rifle case to get transport my rifle to the range. Hmmmm!

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Woody .. I'd order one of your ammo boxes in a heartbeat if I thought I could land it here safe and sound but I fear for its safety. Actually at present it doesn't look like anything is being mailed from the U.S. as I've been waiting on various items for a dogs age. Canada seem to be o.k. but not mainland U.S. I even considered bringing one home on the plane but seeing what some people refer to as 'carry on' these days..being shouldered into overhead lockers.. I dont think it would have survived there either. With regard ammo boxes for the long 45's.. I've used the J & J slip top boxes with great success. Never had them large enough to take the rim down...but apparently that size is available. Berrys also make a good range of both hinged and slip top boxes. 45's are a breeze. Try finding rim down boxes for 44/77's and 50's ! MTM seem to do a good job up to 45/90 perhaps..but then there are issues with clearance from memory.

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Woody,
I’ve been admiring your boxes for years. Hopefully I can order one soon. Or maybe meet at a match somewhere.

Your method is what I’m looking at emulating. I transport my CAS guns in a Pelican case, another for my C. Sharps 1875. Will add another for the Quigley.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Gunmaker,
Thanks, I had forgotten to check J&J. 20’s will work I’m sure.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
august west

Post by august west »

Anything that will hold 50 BMG will hold 45 2 7/8". Lots of boxes out there for this, lots of people shoot it. This could include a 50 caliber ammo can - ammo laid in there in alternate directions would be secure. Plus MTM has a lot of nesting ammo cases/trays for carrying large quantities of ammo to the range.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

For just plain bulk storage, a military ammo box is cheap and saves space. Even cheaper and lighter, Harbor Freight plastic ammo boxes work good too. I carry bulk and then put the days ammo into MTM boxes to use on the range.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Several points, H-50 Xl boxes work but you do not drill them out for ppb's each cartridge hole in the tray has 4 plastic tabs that need to be trimmed flush with the partition,that's 200 cuts for each box with a razor blade knife. You don't need to snag any patches or patch edges with protruding plastic edges. Most importantly for me is R factor, plastic boxed ammo heats up as the sunshines on it enough to make lube wads and bullet lube melt. The wood box does not have this problem it temperature shelters your ammo. Bobw
bobw
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

if you can do any kind of wood work you can make your own, I made my own wooden box holders for my 45-70.
Chris
Chris Wilson
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

go on line. look up the original Sharps bullet lables. print them..
you can buy boxes on line too...very cheap...and cut and glue them..Ken
bp489__95212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

bp489__95212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

bp489__95212.jpg