40-65 Lyman Dies

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

4065inMD

40-65 Lyman Dies

Post by 4065inMD »

I am using Lyman dies and apparently, the seating die has two studs. One is 658S and one is 311S. I am not sure which I should be using? I am casting BACO Jims 408400M4. When I use the 658S, it seems to change the overall shape of the bullet. When I try the 311S, it leaves a ring around the bullet nose. I am so confused..................HELP
GrumpyBear

Re: 40-65 Lyman Dies

Post by GrumpyBear »

"Bell"/expand the case just enough to be able to finger seat the bullets. Eliminate the seating die. IMO
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

In my two Shiloh .40-65's I can shoot those finger seated in fireformed brass. If you use a seater and brass with neck tension you will not find an "off the shelf" seater die that will work well.

The best setup I have used is the Shiloh inline seating system. Not cheap but it is excellent.

Chris.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

measure from the top of the case to the top of your wad (when compressed), that measurement should be darn close to what the depth of you want to seat your bullet. Also dont resize your brass, there is no reason to (unless your brass wont fit). set your taper crimp die to have just enough crimp so the bullet doesn't fall out, this shouldn't be much crimp.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Maybe it is because of the alloy I use with a bit of antimony mixed in but I have never observed any of my bullets being deformed by use of a properly fitting seating die punch. My thought is if the bullet can't stand a bit of nose pressure from a seating die how in the world is it going to stand the pressure of inertia without deforming when the light comes on. Last time I checked I believe the hardness of the alloy I'm using is 9-10 on the LbT and Lee testers.
Woody

Post by Woody »

It appears that neither of your seating stems is properly shaped for the bullet nose you are seating. This is a fairly common issue and easily addressed.

You can hand seat the bullet as has been suggested above, or custom fit one of the seating stems for your bullet.

Use the worst fitting stem and clean thoroughly. Apply a small amount of epoxy to the cavity inside the stem and install into the die. Apply release agent to the bullet and anything else the epoxy may come into contact with. Seat a bullet very lightly into the stem and cartridge case. Let cure and clean up any flash of glue. Now you have a perfectly fitted stem.

You can clean off the glue at anytime and fit it to a new bullet if you become of charter member of the mould of the month club.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Loctite steel metal magic repair epoxy putty works great to fit a stem nose, the putty is not runny like regular glue epoxy. Some times I do bore out the cavity oversize some for the putty then grease bullet nose. Works great for Lyman lubri-sizer bullet nose stems too. It will last years and is easy to remove.
kw
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hot glue into the cavity ... spit on the bullet nose and twist in the cavity ... razor blade the excess glue off the rim .. adjust the seating depth = Perfect Bullets. Same can be done with H&I dies
Regards
John
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

GrumpyBear wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 am "Bell"/expand the case just enough to be able to finger seat the bullets. Eliminate the seating die. IMO
Yep, that's what I do with my .40-65 Lyman dies.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
4065inMD

Post by 4065inMD »

GrumpyBear wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 am "Bell"/expand the case just enough to be able to finger seat the bullets. Eliminate the seating die. IMO
Worked like a charm. My accuracy is better and I don't have to use a safety seater. Appreciate the help!!! :D