Chicken bullet.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: Chicken bullet.

Post by BFD »

My rifles will not chamber a groove diameter bullet of any type.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

Glen Ring wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:51 pm Bruce..talkin about pistols and Rob Leathum. I believe what Garbe wrote about dry firing..too much dry fire and not enough live fire is not so good. Air rifle is the best and 22lr 2nd. there are some that just shoot. You can only trick your subconscious a certain amount of time and then you're back where you started. A good foundation is where it all starts...while you learn to hold the rifle still. I think that would be an interesting experiment. one person just dry fires while the other does whatever and see if the combined scores of two consecutive matches compare...dry fire guy ONLY to other guy that just shoots.
glenn,
training your subconscious is what you have to do.
ideally this would happen in basics, and the problem would never arise.
however very few are interested in establishing basics in their psyche, and others have destroyed them mostly through the violence associated with recoil and/or noise.
once flinching has crept in it will tend to override good practice without serious constant effort.
good on you if you can hold a rifle or a handgun still. i can't.
nor can many others, so the rest of us have to work within a wobble zone.
and that includes david tubb.
we try to train ourselves to reduce the wobble zone as small as possible, and let the shot go at the right moment.
it is a game of odds.
it is also a game where you can start snatching the trigger as the wobble goes past where you want to hit, and this problem grows.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

I do use pp groove dia. bullets in my no.2 musket, roughly equivalent to a 45-90. It actually is my reference load, shoots better than the bore dia. PP bullet, except perhaps at 1,000.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Has anyone tried the chicken bullet out to the Rams distances
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Has anyone tried the chicken bullet out to the Rams distances
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Smoke wrote: Do we have any shooters using PP bullets patched to groove dia.?

Smoke, please let me know if you hit more chickens with PP than you do with GG bullets?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I like what Dennis said. Shooting at small targets at 200 meters is FUN..and fun practice makes you a better shooter. Brian chilson was giving me chicken shooting pointers at my very first nationals a couple of years ago and he told me " you shoot chickens with your feet." I hit 9 out of 15 at that match. Brian is the man .
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

desert deuce,
Yes, there are a number of shooters using bullets patched to groove.
AND bore at the same time.....
DDEPP bullets DualDiameterEllipticalPaperPatched .
Base band is patched to groove, body diameter patches to bore/land diameter.
They are working Very Well for a number of shooters.
There are 11 of them in 38,40,44 and 45 caliber in the Baco catalog.
I am having initial indications that the DDEPP bullets can shoot well, with reduced powder charge/seated deeper than
usual PP shallow seating. May be just the thing for Chickens if you want reduced recoil,etc.
BUT, interesting comment by Brent- He is using a full as in Fast load for chickens.
Therefore reduced barrel time...……while on target...….
beltfed/arnie
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

DD, you and I both know that is not going to help or hinder your chicken score. I do shoot chickens with PP when shooting my .40. Hasn't helped and it hasn't hurt either. I'm not one that thinks paper patch shooters are a cut above everyone else, I just like doing it, just a different challenge. It doesn't bother me one bit to open my box and have gg bullets in it for chicken loads. At the end of the match my score is what I'm interested in. There are probably some diehard PP shooters that had rather have a PP load for everything, just seems to me the patched to groove bullet would be the answer. Looks like to me a bullet patched to groove dia. would have the patch ripped off when it entered the rifling. I'm just wondering if anybody is shooting patched to groove bullets and that is their preferred load.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I believe you can talk to semtav about that with pm. Bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

bobw
semtav

Post by semtav »

Coltsmoke wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:52 pm Do we have any shooters using PP bullets patched to groove dia.?
Yes but i shoot a different venue so some or most of my opinions might not apply.

Like Barry i use an alloy in the 12-1 range.
When i first started out, the 16-1 was giving me an occasional dirt digger switching to 12.5-1 eliminated that. No idea if that was the real reason or i just got better at making the bullets and my wiping technique improved or it really was the alloy.

Altho most of my shooting had been done with a freebore chamber, i have had just as good of luck with no free bore.

Third, and this is also just my opinion, but you have to cam the paper onto the rifling a little ways to have consistent sucess.

Other than that, there are probably a couple dozen ways to make a good load for groove dia pp bullets.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Coltsmoke,
My Creedmoor roller 2.4 rifle is patch to groove diameter. But it has freebore and I set the bullets out to touch the rifling, and that leaves .100 of bullet in the case. .540gr bullet. Marks Roller is set up the same way....
Tom
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Smoke, your humility and honesty is inspiring as well as refreshing. Good shooting.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!