22 BPCR done brilliantly

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

22 BPCR done brilliantly

Post by Glen Ring »

I have heard that my buds from Kansas have been letting just about any 22 rifle shoot in their 22 BPCR matches and refers to them as something like " Modern Class' . Brilliant!!!

Jeanne and I went the range and I shot my Marlin 39 with tang sight out to 300 meters! We were surprised at how accurate a $325.00 rifle could shoot.

I think those kansas fellows are on to something here. More shooters is always a good thing.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
jackrabbit

Re: 22 BPCR done brilliantly

Post by jackrabbit »

Lots of places have been doing that for sometime.......where have you been?
johnl

Post by johnl »

You got a Marlin 39 for $325, nice. They are about $750 to $1000 in mint shape in Canada. I had a little Marlin 39 Mountie with a 2x leupold I sold a buddy who kept bugging me for it. Wish I still had it. Got an early Winchester 9422 to replace it that’s super accurate.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I hope the folks running these BPCR 22 matches take note and recruit new shooters. Shooting 200 meters with a 22 rocks.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

jackrabbit wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:04 pm Lots of places have been doing that for sometime.......where have you been?
Yep. We've been doing this for a while.............. about 15years at Quinton Sportsman in southern NJ. The match draws about 30 competitors on average. Last Sunday the high score was with a Ancshcutz 1716 with a 24X scope. The July match was a Hepburn with a 6X MVA scope. A legal 22BPCR rifle wins as often as not. We've even added a prairie dog at 75m, which is shot 'unsupported' (means any position you want as long as there is no artificial support like sticks - your elbows are OK). Plus, we shoot 12-animals so it is always a 60-shot match. For BPCR scores we simply count the first-10 animals sans prairie dogs.
This morning's match is pistol-cartridge CLA silhouette. Shooting my 1892 in 25-20. Gotta go or I'll be late.
Glenn
Woody

Post by Woody »

We have been shooting modern and traditional .22's in Friendship since we started this game a number of years ago. The majority of the time, Traditional scores are higher.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Now that is recruiting shooters Glenn. We';ll see if Mike Bassett wants to open up his match days...if not we'll just use the 1/2 scale targets we have and do that on our Lever action days.
krgriggs

Post by krgriggs »

I some times shoot precision 22 matches, I told some of them about our 22 bpcr matches and told them if they want to shooot and compete with themselves they can. We have had an average of 6-8 show up each match.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

That's great Kevin. We'll cater to the crowd our first match. Hunters and plinkers ..then we'll only go out to 100 meters. If the Majority are hard core Precision Rimfire shooters then we'll have some courses out to 300 meters and have small targets. The action and variety of the PRF courses is appealing to the younger crowd but the time limits and position shooting may be too much for the older single shot shooters. The bright side to PRF is that a VERY accurate rifle and be purchased in the 400 dollar range and be competitive out to 300 meters. We'll have several courses of fire ready on match day and then choose an appropriate match layout. The majority of targets will be spinners and gongs.
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

To encourage shooters to get involved in our .22 BPCR matches we have invited shooters to join us and use their modern .22s and to be in their own class. We call it "Hunters Class". Those in the "Hunters" class compete against themselves, earn 10 in row animal pins, but are not considered in the Main match as the Match Winner. We require them to load their rifle of choice "one round at a time" like the .22 BPCR rifle shooters do. This gets them use to the time restrictions and pace themselves accordingly. The idea is to encourage them by seeing how much fun we have in .22 BPCR, to recruit shooters to join us and down the road to acquire a BPCR rifles as the game requires.

Our club has an additional match day in the month for Precision NRL-22 matches. Right now both styles of .22 matches are being well attended!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I didn't know that John...That's great. We had inquired about that a few years ago . At the next still water BPCR 22 match I'll be shooting my Iron Sighted Marlin 39.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Maj. Forrest Smith wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:49 am To encourage shooters to get involved in our .22 BPCR matches we have invited shooters to join us and use their modern .22s and to be in their own class. We call it "Hunters Class". Those in the "Hunters" class compete against themselves, earn 10 in row animal pins, but are not considered in the Main match as the Match Winner. We require them to load their rifle of choice "one round at a time" like the .22 BPCR rifle shooters do. This gets them use to the time restrictions and pace themselves accordingly. The idea is to encourage them by seeing how much fun we have in .22 BPCR, to recruit shooters to join us and down the road to acquire a BPCR rifles as the game requires.

Our club has an additional match day in the month for Precision NRL-22 matches. Right now both styles of .22 matches are being well attended!

You guys crack me up !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

John
Do you ever shoot the 22 precision matches In Stillwater?
We're going to offer one in Oklahoma city in October. Jeanne and I both have Kimber 22 rifles and having a different course of fire every month sounds appealing. I really like 22 BPCR, but shooting very small targets from different positions with tight time limits is something I miss from my run and gun youth.
At our range, the younger run and gun guys and gals have a BIG showing every month. We want to attract folks just plinking and having fun to the folks that want to get out their expensive 22 precision rifles...and their numbers seem to really be growing.
Bring your 22bpcr rifle in October to our match and just have fun..and the time limits might speed you up a little.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

One of our Wi clubs has been holding 22 rimfire Winter "Indoor/Outdoor" gong shooting from the warm clubhouse for many years-
two classes:
"Traditional"- Iron sight Single shot rifle
Modern ="shoot what you brung"
My other club is holding Mini Palma matches, Open class "shoot what you brung" 100yds.
So that everyone can shoot these matches.

hope we all can find 22 ammo to continue to do all this shooting,....
beltfed/arnie
rr2241tx

Post by rr2241tx »

If finding 22LR is a problem, try some of the CMP-Eley bulk. Most rifles seem to do pretty well with it as it is a traditional round nose bullet. I tested it against lots of Tenex, R-50, and other standard velocity target ammo and it matched the Tenex and was only slightly behind R-50 for consistency. Until R-50 quits being exchanged for gold bars I’m happy with it.
rr2241tx
Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.