Barrel Weight

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

schofieldbob

Barrel Weight

Post by schofieldbob »

Looking at a Shiloh with a 34" std weight octagon barrel. What's the difference between std and heavy weight?
august west

Re: Barrel Weight

Post by august west »

This photo from the website shows a rifle with the standard weight barrel:
https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sha ... -clone-en/

The "Quigley" rifle comes standard with the standard heavy weight barrel.
https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sha ... -clone-en/
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

What is your intended purpose with the rifle? 34" can be 'long' for most shooting. Especially if it includes any off-hand work.
Glenn
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

my Shiloh 40 70 SS with the standard 30 inch bbl. weighs 10 pounds

works fine....heavy enough. Ken
IMG_2736.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schofieldbob

Post by schofieldbob »

SSShooter wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:54 am What is your intended purpose with the rifle? 34" can be 'long' for most shooting. Especially if it includes any off-hand work.
99% will be off sticks for competition, rarely off hand for SASS side matches.
schofieldbob

Post by schofieldbob »

I guess I did a poor job of asking my question. My intended use is BPCR style shooting, my concern is will I regret not having the heavier barrel? My current Sharps is a Pedersoli with their 30" barrel and it weighs 10 lbs, the rifle I'm looking at weighs 11 lbs, so I'm not going any lighter.
Thanks
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Well, that 'rarely' will be all but impossible with the 34" heavy, and quite ungainly with the 34" standard. Reason? Too much weight forward, in front of the left hand. OTOH, it will be quite stable on X-sticks.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

target of silhouette shooting??
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
schofieldbob

Post by schofieldbob »

Mostly target, but I'd like to try silhouette. New to Sharps, but I've shot my Highwall in 38-55 quite a bit.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

As with most things we continue with in our lives our perspectives change with time and experience. I used to focus more on barrel shape, weight and length than I did stock fit and overall balance of the complete package. It worked for me because of body strength from a life of physically hard work. As I've gotten older and have begun to loose the strength and coordination that aging imposes on our bodies I have come to appreciate the benefits stock fit and balance afford that could have been aiding my shooting all along. The old adage of "To soon old , to late smart" applies here! :lol:
Many of the shot gun techniques of fit and balance can be applied and of equal advantage to the rifle shot as well even with the much broader spectrum of positioning used ie. offhand, sitting and prone.
schofieldbob

Post by schofieldbob »

mdeland wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:23 pm As with most things we continue with in our lives our perspectives change with time and experience. I used to focus more on barrel shape, weight and length than I did stock fit and overall balance of the complete package. It worked for me because of body strength from a life of physically hard work. As I've gotten older and have begun to loose the strength and coordination that aging imposes on our bodies I have come to appreciate the benefits stock fit and balance afford that could have been aiding my shooting all along. The old adage of "To soon old , to late smart" applies here! :lol:
Many of the shot gun techniques of fit and balance can be applied and of equal advantage to the rifle shot as well even with the much broader spectrum of positioning used ie. offhand, sitting and prone.
Good advice, Thanks
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Unlikely that a 34" heavy barrel would make weight for BPCR irons. Might not with a scope, as well. A 30" heavy full octagon might not make weight for irons. You could ask Kirk for some guidance on making weight versus your preferred cartridge, barrel length and configuration.
Glenn
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Weight isn't the important point, weight distribution is. And if we're talking recoil, stock shape and fit above all... Weight alone will mitigate recoil, but if the stock doesn't fit, it will still hurt.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

The Shiloh with a 34" standard weight barrel will make weight easily for silhouette or target competition. It might be a little muzzle heavy offhand but will be be good on the sticks. A heavy weight barrel would add probably more than a pound in that length. Some 30" heavy weight rifles have trouble making weight with dense wood and pewter tips and steel butt plates.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I actually liked my Shiloh LRE with a standard weight 34" barrel for offhand shooting. It felt as stable for offhand as a 30" heavy barrel to me. Mine definitely was well under the weight limit. I should add that it did not have a pewter tip, nor did it have a metal buttplate. I think the pewter tip looks really nice but it's unnecessary weight that moves the balance point too far forward. However, I'm pretty far from being a championship chicken shooter :-)

Chris.