Favorite front hunting sight?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MSalyards

Favorite front hunting sight?

Post by MSalyards »

I know a lot of you use the copper penny and I have a couple of those. I just picked up my new 45/110 hunting rifle from Bill Goodman and it has the silver blade. I took the pennys off my other rifles and kept them but I have the same problems with them at 100 yds as the silver, I cant see them! I lose them in the target. I can actually see the silver better but it still sucks too. I like the buckhorn system but I may have to find something else. Any suggestions?
BFD

Re: Favorite front hunting sight?

Post by BFD »

I have suggestions and a lot of them really depend on your particular vision problems. But for me and a number of other shooters fighting the age related decline in eyesight quality, this has worked pretty well
http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033

I'll also add that there are other ways to achieve the same end, all of them being somewhat inconvenient, but usable. Inconvenience seems to be a small price to pay to stay in the game however.

As for the simplest thing to try, put a hooded front sight on your gun and try things like thicker posts and beads on a post. That works better than bright metal usually. However, I also find the steel Rocky Mt. front sight, mounted backwards on my flintlock works really well for me if brightened with some steel wool.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Square the top of the silver blade and then wipe the edges with a black or brown sharpie works too.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

A front sight blade that works good for me especially for holding elevation is brass topped , square (partridge) profile and with a 45 degree angle cut from the rear to the top of the blade. This will make it always show up even in dim light. Most folks select a bead or to narrow of blade front sight thinking they can hold finer but this is not the case. What is needed up front is definition against the target wither it is paper or game.
Beads are fast but do not hold elevation as well as a wide flat topped front sight.
A wide flat topped front sight works well with paper target or game, held in six o'clock so you can see and maintain both definition and elevation of sight and target. By wide I'm talking in the .100 width.
It also works very well for moving shots if you don't have one of those lousy Buckhorn rear sights that the ears tend to cover up moving game.
Buckhorn rear sights are stylish and nice to look at but are functionally lousy,especially on running game in my opinion.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

BFD wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 am I have suggestions and a lot of them really depend on your particular vision problems. But for me and a number of other shooters fighting the age related decline in eyesight quality, this has worked pretty well
http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033

I'll also add that there are other ways to achieve the same end, all of them being somewhat inconvenient, but usable. Inconvenience seems to be a small price to pay to stay in the game however.

As for the simplest thing to try, put a hooded front sight on your gun and try things like thicker posts and beads on a post. That works better than bright metal usually. However, I also find the steel Rocky Mt. front sight, mounted backwards on my flintlock works really well for me if brightened with some steel wool.
I ordered some this AM, Mike.