63 lever spring repair

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny sd

63 lever spring repair

Post by kenny sd »

Just FYI and most of you already know this I'm sure.
I have two original Sharps carbines. one perc. one 50 70 conversion.
A lever spring broke, and I had one....DGW I think. not the best but a spring.

put it in..too weak. lever not in the correct positions. up and down. no snap/push.

shims didn't work. so while two more are coming from s and S, I tried something.

with the dremel and a wide grinding bit, , I took off a little on each side of the upper wider part that goes in the action.
this allowed the spring to go up further in it's center, , and it worked.
water the spring a lot while you are grinding off the side, leave a nice flat grinding edge.
the lever now snaps shut on the trigger guard, and ends in the open position where it should, nice and sharp .
greased it well with moly on the contact point and I'm good to go.
Ken
kenny sd

Re: 63 lever spring repair

Post by kenny sd »

ok, here are some pictures. I had to relieve a little from the stock fitting. while the new spring is 'slightly' wider, the
wood after 150 yrs had swollen from the oil, years, whatever. very very little to allow it to line up perfectly in the chamber.
nice and smooth, yet under spring tension. snaps shut on closing .
IMG_0399.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Ok, a final word.
while all of the above worked...and well....I just received the two lever springs from S and S Firearms.
put one in. no adjustment, fit perfectly, snaps open and shut.
If you have an old spring and need to do my 'trick' above, go for it., but if you need a spring,
go to S and S for $22 and just screw it in.
a note, the lever screw I ordered snapped the head, so back it goes and I'm sure a replacement will be sent.
no biggie...stuff happens.

Ken
Woody

Post by Woody »

I haven't dealt with S and S since I was actively collecting Civil War Carbines in the 70's and 80's. Always neat, hard to find stuff, and great to deal with. Good to hear that they are still going strong.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.