Shiloh Envy

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

Shiloh Envy

Post by mongo40 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so if not feel free to move it or delete. I've wanted a Shiloh Sharps since I was a kid, my dad had a colored brochure from Shiloh with all the models and options pictured and I could only dream. I've been watching GunBroker and Armslist for awhile and there is always two or three that I like but the question is price, I see them anywhere from $25K to $35K, I guess what I'm wanting to know is what is a fair price to pay for a 45-70, 30 to 32" octagon barrel? I just don't want to way over pay for one just cause I want one. I currently have a Taylor Arms 45-70 that shoots fine and is a beautiful rifle but like I said it isn't a Shiloh and I've always wanted one. Thanks
Chris

P.S. It doesn't help that my Brother picked up one last year for $1800 that lookes new unfired!!!
Chris Wilson
mongo40

Re: Shiloh Envy

Post by mongo40 »

Also forgot to ask, is there anything quality wise to worry about on the Shilohs that were made in the NY Factory as opposed to the Montana?
Chris Wilson
august west

Post by august west »

Surely you mean 2.5K rather than 25K? They're more expensive for a reason - actually several reasons - and the investment is generally considered warranted. But you yourself have an Italian import that you enjoy, so..? If you really want a Shiloh, sell your rifle, save up, and buy the Shiloh that you like. Online auction houses tend to be more expensive. If you have a high tolerance for potential fraud, check out Armslist.

The NY rifles are excellent quality but are known for having a long "throat", or un-rifled section ahead of the end of the chamber, which can sometimes lead to accuracy issues for some people. Others get throated rifles to shoot just great. It's just different, that's all.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I just picked up my new 45/110 #3 Sporter hunting rifle for right at $2500. and that included Bill Goodmans service charge. 8)
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Yes I mean $2500 to $3500, also I'm well aware of the scams on Armlist hence I only buy face to face off there. I've no intention of getting rid of the Taylors or any other guns, plus my grandson will need something to shoot with me.It's not that I don't have the money to spend on one I just don't want to over pay for what I end up getting,
I guess I shouldn't have said "quality issues" but what are the differences, just not familiar with the different nuances from the Farmingdale sharps to the ones being produced now, so thanks.
Chris
Chris Wilson
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Forget the Farmingdales. The rifles being built by the Bryan family in Big Timber are far and away the best Shilohs that have ever been built. There have been improvements in metallurgy and fit and finish over the earlier guns. I have owned Farmingdales, Wolfgang era guns, and today's rifles are the best by a large margin. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Mongo,

You can get a brand new nicely appointed Shiloh Sharps for well under $3,000.00 give them a call @ 406-932-4266 and have them send you their latest catalog, wait times will probably be long 18-24 months for an actual rifle order - Well worth it! Or, you can order through Bill Goodman and have your rifle within 6 months, Bill charges about $200.00 for this service, again well worth it!

Once you get Shiloh's catalog spend some time studying the options. I would suggest at a minimum ordering their "Bone Charcoal" case colors, polished barrel, and fire blued screws. You can upgrade the wood as well, however, the wood upgrade option was not that important to me as the metal finish is.

Enjoy!

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks Dennis, I was just looking at some Bill has for sale on GunsInternational, decisions decisions!!!
Chris Wilson
TN Longhunter

Post by TN Longhunter »

Check the Shiloh webpage often. Click on “Inventory room”. Weekends seem to be the best time to find guns listed. Guns listed don’t last long and you will be buying what is offered, no upgrades...... Last month there were four guns listed. One went to my LGS and is sitting in a gun safe at home. Military stock, 34” barrel, with patchbox. Not named as such (due to legal issues) but the same configuration as the rifle from a famous movie. Only difference is 45/70 instead of 45/110. Still happy with it. Not my only Shiloh, just the latest.

Don
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I hear from a highly questionable source, plying Lucinda with copious amounts of Hershey's Chocolate and calling when she is not too busy "may" get you a heads up about what you are looking for about the time it goes up on the sale rack in Big Timber.

Me, if I am going to spend the money I would order "exactly" what I wanted.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Chief Beck wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 amI would suggest at a minimum ordering their "Bone Charcoal" case colors, polished barrel, and fire blued screws. You can upgrade the wood as well, however, the wood upgrade option was not that important to me as the metal finish is.
Enjoy!
Dennis
As wood is more important to me than the metal upgrades, my extra $$ went into fancy wood & finish. To each there own. No wrong-way of ordering what you want. Your money, spend it the way you wish.
Glenn
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Mongo,

Bill Goodman can slot your name in for one of his orders that has yet to be built. You can order it the way you want upgrades and all and still knock off a year or more on the wait time. Here is his website: WWW.SHILOH-BALLARD.COM

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”