Browning .40-65 vs. Shiloh Sharps .40-65

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

powderburnt

Re: Browning .40-65 vs. Shiloh Sharps .40-65

Post by powderburnt »

I have noticed something surprising during my 8-9 years of shooting the WSU winter postal match. Our group of shooters have shot near the same averages year after year with usually a small increase in score as we improved our equipment. We started with basic, bare traditional rifles and over the years have full off hand schuetzen rifles. Point being, as shooters, we take a short while to develop an average score but only slowly increase our averages over many years. There are only a few that I have seen make a sudden leap up in shooting sports after the first 2-3 years. I seems most give up after being mediocre for a long while.

HG
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Surprising nobody mentions rifle fit. A rifle that 'fits' even if mechanical accuracy isn't as good as another rifle, usually shoots better. Meaning LOP, balance, buttplate configuration,... In Germany they say that the rifle shoots, but the (butt)stock hits.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Wayne
Jeanne has started taking Pictures of our spotting boards after 10 shots during a practice session and adding notes. Having a " home court" advantage at some ranges had allowed us to pick up a couple of extra animals with our 22 bpcr rifles. The last two turkey targets at Stillwater Oklahoma need a different hold than the first 7 because of some wind swirl thing so we have our pics and talk about that before a match.
I think rifle fit is also something overlooked. My Winchester 45-70 fits me very well..One of Jeanne's high walls fits her very well and it shows on chickens.
I think a lot of BPCR shooting is best guess and hope everything turns out okay.

I do not think any of your writing is bullshit..on the contrary I think you've figured out a lot of things. Your knowledge is obviously appreciated and it shows by your book sales.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Glen Ring wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:12 pm Wayne
Jeanne has started taking Pictures of our spotting boards after 10 shots during a practice session and adding notes. Having a " home court" advantage at some ranges had allowed us to pick up a couple of extra animals with our 22 bpcr rifles. The last two turkey targets at Stillwater Oklahoma need a different hold than the first 7 because of some wind swirl thing so we have our pics and talk about that before a match.
I think rifle fit is also something overlooked. My Winchester 45-70 fits me very well..One of Jeanne's high walls fits her very well and it shows on chickens.
I think a lot of BPCR shooting is best guess and hope everything turns out okay.

I do not think any of your writing is bullshit..on the contrary I think you've figured out a lot of things. Your knowledge is obviously appreciated and it shows by your book sales.
Concerning fit between the Browning's & the Shiloh Sharp, I don't have a preference. Both fit me fine.

BTW, due to the features, with the exception of the set trigger, I prefer the Browning over the Sharps due to the center trigger, automatic cocking when lower the lever & not having to remember to 1/2 cock the hammer prior to unloading and also not having to remember to full cock prior to firing. And there is no way you've break a firing pin or the lever spring on a Browning. Due to the side hammer, chambering a round in the Sharps is a little tricky if your're right handed and shooting with a scope, so I chamber with my left hand when shooting the Sharps. But, in contrast to the Browning, the Sharps is easy to disassemble, hence one of the reasons I've sold a bunch of books.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

WAYNE,
Thanks for the dimensions on the Shiloh 40-65 chamber.
I am surprised that it does not have a distinct cylindrical neck.
I suppose they copied an 1880s original chamber.

It would not matter to me, since I am seating my DDEPP bullets only about 0.150"
into my 40-65 cases.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

TexasMac wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 am Hey there Cody,

With comments such as ..."I find your post ridiculous" and "Anything else is just another bullshit story", one might get the impression that you didn't like me, but I know better. Differing viewpoints are always good to identify possible errors in ones thought process.

BTW, going back as far as 2012 I've shot lots of paper with the Browning and posted many threads on this forum with photos of the targets. Well over 7000 rounds have been shot through my .40-65 Browning's with many bullets and many load combinations and none resulted in consistent acceptable accuracy out to 500 meters. During the lengthy process of selling over 200 Browning and Winchester BPCRs & writing a book on the rifles, I documented the chamber dimensions of many Browning .40-65 chambers and bores. So I had the opportunity to select & keep a couple with the best dimensions. It certainly could be my shooting ability but in that case I'd have the same problem with the Sharps .40-65 and my Browning .45-70, both of which I shoot measurably better.

Wayne
Hey Wayne, glad you do not take it personally as it is not meant to be personal in any way. I like that you are always thinking, writing, and bringing things to discussion about BPCR.

Besides the fact that many of my closest friends are my worst critics, I also remember working as an engineer and having to present plans and designs I had made before a committee. The committee tore them to shreds and you had to be prepared to defend your ideas. Steel sharpened steel and we all made each other better. Just think of me as your committee :D :D :D
take care, Cody
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

jackrabbit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:17 am
TexasMac wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 am Hey there Cody,

With comments such as ..."I find your post ridiculous" and "Anything else is just another bullshit story", one might get the impression that you didn't like me, but I know better. Differing viewpoints are always good to identify possible errors in ones thought process.

BTW, going back as far as 2012 I've shot lots of paper with the Browning and posted many threads on this forum with photos of the targets. Well over 7000 rounds have been shot through my .40-65 Browning's with many bullets and many load combinations and none resulted in consistent acceptable accuracy out to 500 meters. During the lengthy process of selling over 200 Browning and Winchester BPCRs & writing a book on the rifles, I documented the chamber dimensions of many Browning .40-65 chambers and bores. So I had the opportunity to select & keep a couple with the best dimensions. It certainly could be my shooting ability but in that case I'd have the same problem with the Sharps .40-65 and my Browning .45-70, both of which I shoot measurably better.

Wayne
Hey Wayne, glad you do not take it personally as it is not meant to be personal in any way. I like that you are always thinking, writing, and bringing things to discussion about BPCR.

Besides the fact that many of my closest friends are my worst critics, I also remember working as an engineer and having to present plans and designs I had made before a committee. The committee tore them to shreds and you had to be prepared to defend your ideas. Steel sharpened steel and we all made each other better. Just think of me as your committee :D :D :D
take care, Cody
Dang Cody,
I'm just now coming to understanding what a valuable service you offer. :roll: :lol:
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

You can thank me later, you are welcome in the mean time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
take care, Cody