bruce m

Re: ?????

Post by bruce m »

what size?
ventum est amicus meus
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

fabric store, $10 worth of flannel, rip a 2 inch strip full length, put four together, cut them with the razor cutter.
15 minutes and I have enough to clean etc. use once and throw away at the range.
Ken
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

So let me think about this.

Not considering the cost of the rifle & sights, shooting mat, sticks, spotting scope & tripod, spotting board, cleaning rod, wiping rod, the cartridge brass or the labor involved, etc.:
Reloading for a 45-70 costs about $0.70/cartridge for primer, powder, wad, lube & lead. So that’s $42 for 60 cartridges for a 40-shot match.
190 miles round trip for each match. At a conservative $0.35/mile that’s $66.50.
The match fee for the club, landowner & target setters is $25.

So, at around $130 for the above items per match, less than $0.02/patch for arsenal patches from BACO or Pro-Shot cotton patches from Midway does now even come close to showing up on the radar screen.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

If you shot 200,000 rounds and never used a patch, you could buy a new Shiloh :lol: :lol: :lol: Unless your on a strict budget just buy them and worry about other stuff
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
rgchristensen

patches

Post by rgchristensen »

I have gone to using micro-fiber household cleaning cloths and cutting them up for patches. Thick, so need a special jag, but they really scrub the bore, and are washable/reusable, unlike cotton patches.

CHRIS
Del

Post by Del »

I reuse my cotton patches. Washing a years worth of patches takes about an hour to hand wash and spread out to dry. It's not that I'm so cheap to buy new but I like the way they work after they are washed because it takes the sizing out of the fabric which makes the fabric more course. I have about 5 years out of the patches I use.

Another thing, the first patch or two i push through is pushing sludge so I use a dirty patch for that. Sludge patches go in bag to be cleaned. Less dirty patches saved for sludge. Saves clean patches.

You can also grab once used patches from other shooters at the range. I like the idea that I am using something that was going to be thrown away that I use all the time. Kinda like saving old lumber.

Waste not, want not!
Fortune Favors the Bold...