Shiloh Stocks

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

Shiloh Stocks

Post by mongo40 »

Could someone tell me what type of Oil Shiloh uses on the wood, video says they soak it in oil so the weather won't affect it. Also is it stained or just oiled? I'd guess Tung Oil but just curious. Second does anyone have a pistol gripped semi fancy stock with NO cheek piece they'd like to trade for this one, I'm a lefty and don't like the check pieces on my rifles for you righties!!!
Shiloh4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wilson
bpcr shooter

Re: Shiloh Stocks

Post by bpcr shooter »

the wood is fitted to YOUR rifle, color and figure as well, so it may be a while to find another that it will fit. Being a lefty as well and not liking that either, I would just give Shiloh a call and see what they can do.

Or order one with the left-hand cheek piece and sell your current one.......
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Woody

Post by Woody »

I ordered my latest without a cheek piece. A lefty also. They are more for looks IMO than practical.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Mongo,

I've had a couple of rifles I shot in this game (BPCR) that didn't have cheekpieces, and can honestly say that I didn't really notice a lot of difference or that they were hard to get accustomed to out to 500 meters and 600 yards. It might be a bigger deal for Creedmoor matches, but one can add a strap-on pad to raise the comb if necessary.

Woody's post pointed out the option of removing the cheekpiece or having someone with the skills do it if you aren't confident in your own. It wouldn't be that hard for a capable person to match the finish, and it would look just like the one Woody is ordering, which is a standard option.

IIRC, when I was in the Shiloh factory 15-20 years ago, Shiloh was using a tung oil finish, but I don't remember the brand. Be aware that there is a great deal of difference in the various tung oil finishes, some of which aren't really tung oil.

Clarence
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks Clarence, I didn't see anything in Woodys post about removing it, I could easily remove it then refinish the wood myself if its just tung oil they are using and no stain of any kind, I've built several blackpowder rifles for myself and used a good tung oil hand rubbed into the wood. I've no desire to sell my rifle just want a stock with no cheek piece on the left side to rub against my arm while shooting. Thanks again for the replies.
Chris
Chris Wilson
Woody

Post by Woody »

You are correct, I didn't mention removing it, but Clarance understood what I meant. Being a lefty myself, I understand. I have two rifles that have left handed cheeks. None with right. If I had it to do over again, I would not have any rifles with cheeks. Ten minutes with a rasp and files would solve your issue and when properly refinished, the rifle would not suffer.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

The OP has a PM. Know someone who might have a lefty stock to trade.
Glenn
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks Woody, I've done it before on a hunting rifle I have. Appreciate the replies.

Chris
Chris Wilson