Single Action Silhouette

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Single Action Silhouette

Post by Glen Ring »

Mike Venturino Came up with a great idea last year. Single action Pistol Silhouette out to 100 meters on a field pistol/ Lever rifle course.

Mike we haven't forgotten your idea and we think that match will be a hoot. I'm even looking for a single action pistol ( I don't own any) . This virus crap has shut our matches down for the most part..but we are trying precision 22 out to 200 meters next month and Maybe in November or early spring we'll try putting on a Single Action silhouette shoot. If you don't mind, I think we'll call our match the " Duke Shoot.'

I have shot Revolvers and Pistols in competition and have carried both as duty guns...but I know nothing about single actions. Maybe a Ruger in .357?
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
bpcr shooter

Re: Single Action Silhouette

Post by bpcr shooter »

Im in!!!! I have a single action 45-70, 10in barrel, sitting in the safe for just such an opportunity!!

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Most popular single action being used for shooting in our 100 meter Cowboy Silhouette pistol cartridge and RF cartridge matches is the long barreled Ruger convertible - 22 Mag for PC and 22LR for RF. To beat our best shooter will take a 17 on PC and a 20 on RF, but he keeps getting better;-)
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think I'm going to look for a .357 Ruger. . I have a LOT of experience with that round and the 38 special. a vaquero looks like a pretty cool Revolver...but I was wondering how hard they are to regulate with the fixed sight.

I suspect our range guy would laugh at someone asking to shoot a 45-70 in Pistol cartridge...but a video of you shooting a match might be entertaining...for a few shots anyhow.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have a .357 Blackhawk with the convertible 9mm cylinder. The latter is pointless, but it's a fun gun to shoot, not necessarily to hit anything with. I'd rather make it a bp, percussion revolver, but no one would go for that. Esp. at 100 yds. On the other hand, I have a better chance with that than the blackhawk.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

percussion revolver Would be fun. I have an original Remington that really likes conical bullets. The drop from the 25 yard that I have it zeroed at to the 100 yard line would probably be a bunch
BFD

Post by BFD »

I don't think they would push over a ram at 100 yds, unless it was a heavily loaded dragoon or Walker.
But it might be fun. Maybe I'll bring it to Raton next summer but there will be so many different matches, might not be time for foolin' with pistols.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Brent
I hope we'll have matches to choose from. By the way, I was still in the hunt for a 1 day 1000 yard match at Raton. I contacted a WC staff person and was advised the 14 day quarantine rule is still in place. Maybe next year. i REALLY want to shoot my 45-70 at 1000 yards. Maybe we can get that going before or after a BPCR match. I am tiring of lever action and 1000yards with a BPCR just seems like fun.
Woody

Post by Woody »

My local club shoots a center fire pistol silhouette match once a year. We shot it last Thursday. I came in second with a 12 of 20 targets, using my bullseye Kimber 1911 and a red dot.

Several years ago, I decided to shoot my Colt Signature Series Dragoon in the match. Came in second. Don't remember the score, but did well at 25, 50, and 75 yards. Hit two rams at 100 yards and that 44 cal round ball had run out of gas by then. Hit two. They just hunched their shoulders and gave me the "Is that all you got!" look.

After firing the five shots per string, I disassembled the pistol, and during the reset, I reloaded the cylinder using a loading tool I made for it. After the reset, the Match Director called us back to the line and would give a load command. He then would defer to me and tell me to re-assemble my weapon.

It was fun to kick some modern gun butt with a percussion.

(We don't use a ready command. We start with a loaded gun and just get a fire command. It's just a small local club.)

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
MLV

Post by MLV »

JohnnySpratling came up with an ever better idea than mine. He suggested pistol cartridge fixed sight revolvers for chickens and pigs and then pistol cartridge lever/pump actions for turkeys and rams. Fired of course on the NRA’s pistol cartridge lever gun silhouette ranges.

Sounds like fun to me.
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
BFD

Post by BFD »

That works. I am in.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

BP revolvers, now you're talking my language!! 8)
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Well I do have a Third Gen SSA in 44-40 as well a a couple of Winchesters in the same cal. What distances are we contemplating for the pistol?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Well I do have a Third Gen SSA in 44-40 as well a a couple of Winchesters in the same cal. What distances are we contemplating for the pistol?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Woody
Richard A. Wood