Friendship military match

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John Bly

Friendship military match

Post by John Bly »

Hey Woody, I see that the military match at Friendship is Oct 17th. I may try to make it since you haven't called for a trapdoor challenge at the SE Reg. I don't have sight settings for most of the animals but I can come early to get those. I need to make bullets and I have another can of an odd lot of powder I can load up. Maybe we can drum up a few other trapdoor shooters. What say you trapdoor shooters? Let's meet up at Friendship.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Re: Friendship military match

Post by Woody »

I'm already loaded for it. I had a thought that I might try my carbine, so I played a little with it a couple of weeks ago at Friendship. It did fine at pigs and turkeys, but failed on the rams. I'm thinking the sight radius is just too short for the accuracy needed at 500. So I'll be bringing my 1884 rifle instead. If things go like normal, me should have 6 to 10 military rifles on the line. Jim Ratliff should be the man to beat. He has been practicing and still has eyesight.

In reference to Georgia, I want to shoot the 77 at 600 yards this year, so I'm not challenging this time. You can though. You might get some takers.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Woody,
77 as in 1877 Sharps? If so have you posted any pictures and specs on it here? My 77 is supposed to be in the final assembly stage. After 6.5 years of waiting I’m not getting too excited about any news on its progress. I’ll get excited when it gets here!

But having said that it is fun and interesting to see how others have built theirs. I know their have been a fair number completed by now. I’m surprised at how few have been showcased on here.

Would love to see them!

Wade
Woody

Post by Woody »

I posted a few pics when I received mine from Shiloh. I'll see if I can find that posting.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I was out shooting yesterday. I had some 45/70 ammo that was 4 years old and I don't have the rifle it was loaded for any more. It would not fit my new Shiloh 45/70 so I shot it in a trapdoor just to get the brass empty. This was not the trapdoor I have shot in GA but another. The Buffington sight is a little loose on this one and wiggles side to side. I've got a different front sight blade in this one with a bead on top. Maybe I should get this one fixed up to shoot in matches. It surprised me how accurate it is. I shot this group at 100 yards. There are 7 holes in that cluster, 3 in one tight group and 4 in about an inch group. My brother was watching thru a spotting scope as I shot and several times he said there was no new hole. I knew I didn't miss.
P9201255.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm not screert. :roll:

See you there.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Maybe I'll tag along and watch John & you shoot. I still have cases to fire-form and that might be a good opportunity to do so.
Glenn