art ruggiero

Re: BPCR Attendance Decline.....

Post by art ruggiero »

wayne; you are a very helpful contributor best art ruggiero
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Jim
Jeanne and I tried at our range in OKC for exactly one season. A couple of the folks were cranky ass old men that treated us more like employees than match directors. I regret begging Jeanne to take that program and organize it. She did...the shooters failed the match directors in that case.

I seriously doubt there will ever be another BPCR NRA regional at OKC...but I've heard rumblings from Tulsa. We'll be there on the high power range tomorrow seeing what can be done to revive that BPCR program.

We as shooters need to support and help our match directors..without match directors, NO matches. We all can't be hugs and kisses with each other.....but if a person is willing to put on matches, HELP THEM.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

We have found a new recruitment discipline that is accessible, Financially , to almost everyone.

Precision 22 rim fire.
A 200 yard range is more than adequate. I made swingers from materials I had around the house of all shapes and sizes .

I put a Hawke Scope ( less thank 200 bucks) on my Turtle/snake 22 rifle and with good ammo I can shoot with the big boys.

The Hawke scope has holdover markings and numbers from 50 meters to 200 meters and is available in models calibrated for subsonic 22 ammo and 1200 fps ammo. I REALLY like that scope.

We have shown a couple of shooters that really good ammo will make their old 22 rifles MUCH more accurate out to 200 meters.

Almost everyone has a 22 rifle . Mike Basset has indicated he will allow any 22 shooter to shoot his monthly BPCR 22 match...so I'm thinking this is a good way to recruit shooters..one step at a time. Shoot our .22 precision match, shoot the same rifle in a BPCR 22 match so they can see and shoot a single shot...and so on.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Besides the absence of new shooters in BPCR,
Now, all we have to do is "RECRUIT" primers from, "who knows where"
so that whomever can actually shoot.
beltfed/arnie
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

There are no MONTHLY BPCR informal or sanctioned matches distributed across the US within a State by State basis. There are many other shooting discipline monthly matches to draw shooters together in every State
Regards
John
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

We have the same decline in muzzle loading matches here in AK. Our indoor match yesterday only yielded 4 competitors. Three of us were shooting flint guns with one cap lock shooter.
Our offhand gong matches we call Clang and Bangs actually have picked up in attendance , even in very cold conditions. We're drawing folks from the muzzle loading, High power and F-class community to these monthly shoots.
Last month was miserably cold with 25 mph wind and we still had 4 relays with 10-12 in attendance. That's good participation for us in the dead of winter.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I'd say that was GREAT for anywhere. Anything to draw new shooters.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The draw to these events is that the only rule is lead bullets must be used. Folks like venues to get out they're safe queens and old military rifles to stand on they're hind feet and knock over some steel. We even have one class where old or handicapped shooters can use a standing tripod or cross sticks with any sight. The scope class is of course separate but is shot at the same time as all the rest.
I see at least as many BPCR rifles as modern but most like the duplex loads as they don't have to fool around in some times very cold weather with wiping.
Most of us bring multiple rifles for the shoot which keeps it interesting and challenging plus it's great for multi-range hunting practice.
We use the pistol silhouette distances for this offhand match.
Kevin1951

Post by Kevin1951 »

I am not particularly worried about this. I’ve been shooting three gun matches US PSA and snipers competition. I’ve trained at rifles only and gunsight and other high-end facilities. Frankly I’m bored. So I’ve ordered a new Shiloh shharps riifle. I’ve got a couple books now on how to load the thing. It’s pretty complex.But that’s part of the fun. If I can actually hit at least 800 yards with a 45-70,THAT Will be in accomplishment. I can hit 1500 with my accuracy international in 6.5 Creedmore,And much farther than that with my AI in 338 Lapua mag.Big deal. I’ll be asking you guys for lots of advice
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Good for you and welcome, You have begun a fascinating and endlessly interesting journey! :lol: The white powder guns and jacketed bullets will probably begin to make you yawn! :lol:
Get ready to unload your bank occount! :lol: