Meat and potato guns

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: Meat and potato guns

Post by bobw »

Full and a tight modified by definition but patterning is the way for actual determination. Some lead loads with 1 1/8 & 1 1/4 oz with nitro cards + felt/fiber filler wads will probably give you the upland performance you want. Bismuth would work there too for waterfowl. Bobw
bobw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Been doing some research on when the gun was made and from what I can determine from having the birch stock, no serial numbers and the capitol letters on the water table I know it is pre 1968 manufacture. Probably mid to late 50's early 60's. There is on the inside lower frame a circle with a capitol C in it, a heart stamp and two capitol letters I J. Do any of you folks have information from this info as to a more exact date of manufacture?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

This is what the shotgun barrel tools look like for those that have not seen them. The adjustable multi-blade reamer is for chokes and the fluted reamer is for forcing cone removal. The hone works on both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I also have a spiral forcing cone reamer around here somewhere I couldn't lay my hands on quickly for the picture that is less prone to chatter when removing the cones.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

These are primarily hand tools for shotgun work but better ones are made that use a long shaft that are pulled through the work and are supported by brass bushings at two or three points in the barrel. These type tools are often used for back boring and are far less likely to get a chatter going which is hard to stop once it gets established. Light ,well lubed cuts is the way to proceed with any of these operations.