Dry paper-patching made easy

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Dry paper-patching made easy

Post by opencountry »

Something I’ve found to consistently get the dry paper patch wrapped tightly and accurately on the bullet is a fingertip moisturizer called SORTQUIK. I found it at BestBuy.
At times my fingers are just too dry, and the paper is just a real pain to get wrapped exactly right. You just gotta try this, it’s really helps!

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
pacecars

Re: Dry paper-patching made easy

Post by pacecars »

How many on here dry patch or wet patch? I have done both and just not sure which is best. Does caliber matter?
Real gun powder is black.
BFD

Post by BFD »

pacecars wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:43 am How many on here dry patch or wet patch? I have done both and just not sure which is best. Does caliber matter?
The reason you are unsure is because it doesn't matter. Same for which direction you roll the paper. It's irrelevant.

I used to exclusively wet patch. Now I exclusively dry patch. The latter is easier for me, but it is not better. Just one less thing to do.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I only wet patch.
It seems the easiest way to control the patch while rolling it on the bullet.
My finger dexterity is not the greatest.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

MikeT wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 am I only wet patch.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
I think most, if not all of us, will have to meet this reality if we grow really old. At nearly seventy-one years old I still have all of my feeling, and dexterity in both arms and hands. My brain is another matter; don’t want to talk about that...

Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

MikeT wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 am I only wet patch.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
I think most, if not all of us, will have to meet this reality if we grow really old. At nearly seventy-one years old I still have all of my feeling, and dexterity in both arms and hands. My brain is another matter; don’t want to talk about that...

Robert
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have tried both and can’t really tell a difference.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

I started out wet patching because it was the only way I knew about, I had never even heard of dry patching. The emphasis was always on getting the patch on very tight and straight, perfect.

It's been several years now since I first tired dry patching and my early attempts were unsuccessful in that it was very difficult to even get a patch on the bullet in a manner that was acceptable.

One thing that was difficult was getting that leading corner to tuck under the patch. I found by curling just that tip with the edge of a 6-inch steel rule before I applied the patch to the bullet helped a bunch. Using that idea made it possible to switch to dry patching and I have dry patched even since.

Eventually I was able to drop the pre-curling the leading tip of the patch and my fingers learned how to dry patch. Unlike some I don't get overly fussy about how perfect my patches look on my bullet. I have what I would call minor flaws in my bullets and my patches, but it doesn't seem to really matter that much if at all. They shoot as accurately as I can make use of just the way they are.

I have worked to eliminate many of the things from my paper patching efforts as I can that have proven to be "unimportant" or not having really any benefit that shows in my scores. Some of these things have been harder to give up that others, but dry patching has actually proven to be easier, faster and shoots every bit as good as wet patching and I believe better when combined with sizing of my patched bullets.

I dry patch mine.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

I only use 2 types of paper, 55Y and 55W. I Wet wrap the 55Y ad dry wrap the 55W. The Y handles better for me wet and the W better dry. A Lot has to do with bullet shape and how deep it is seated in the case also. The wet almost glues together when wet wrapped and stays tight when seated very shallow ( .125" or less ), so there are different reasons for using one method or the other. I really don't see any difference accuracy wise.

HG
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

And then there is teflon tape patching! :lol: I gave that a try about 30 years ago and it didn't work for sour apples for me! I've been both wet and dry patching some .303 bullets I made a mold for and both have been dismal failures with key holes at 25 yards using parchment paper. I'm sure it is my bullet design though not the PPing. Sure is fun to experiment with though and hope to eventually have a Eureka moment with the .303! :lol:
I shot some bullets Bob Englebach wet patched for me in my 45-70 match rifle, they did fine but no better than my greaser's.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Just a thought - has anyone ever used anything on the patch, light starch or otherwise, to get the patch to secure to the exposed bullet for the hunting field? If so, what were the results?
Robert
BFD

Post by BFD »

All manner of things have been used, including flour, egg white, spit, white glue and who knows what else, but none of it does anything you want or need.

Some military rounds such as the Swiss 11mm were dipped in beeswax completely. There were some issues there that were overcome at the cost of things like barrel wear and accuracy. None of which apply today.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Interesting. Thanks. I’ll have to design my own ‘loaded-round’ carrier/case for additional rounds for the field. I would think a small pocket-sized box for the left breast pocket.

Robert
BFD

Post by BFD »

Robert, I often use a Filson's Surveyor's Vest which has a left-side breast pocket sewn with 5 or 6 individual pen-holding slots. They hold .45 cartridges wonderfully, under your jacket if need be, but safe as a baby in a cradle and very handy too.

You can kinda see it here in this poor quality photo from the '90s.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

That’s exactly what I need, thnx! Nice buck!
Robert