Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

Shooting the Big 50

Post by pacecars »

Real gun powder is black.
pacecars

Re: Shooting the Big 50

Post by pacecars »

Shot the .50-90 Business Rifle today. Recoil was not bad. I was shooting a cast 670 gr paper patch bullets over 100 grs of Goex FFg. I fired 10 shots without wiping and since I don’t have a blow tube yet I did the Quigley method of blowing in the chamber. This was the 9th shot and for it and the 10th shot I did have to push harder to chamber them. I then wiped and fired 10 more. I just wanted to shoot it and wasn’t concerned with accuracy because I am going to replace the front sight with an old Hartford style from Stephen Borud when it gets here and I am thinking about changing the buckhorn out for a semi buckhorn or Lawrence rear sight
Griff

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the video. I think that adds a lot. I always appreciate actually seeing these guns in action.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

A great choice for sights. My 44-77 Shiloh Hartford and my C. Sharps "Big Fifty" "Lucretzia" buffalo guns are equipped with Stephens Hartford fronts and Shiloh long staff Lawrence rear sights. Perfect for hunting and steel shooting! Get your accurate load worked up and then do not be afraid of the files to set the sights for a perfect POI Open up the sight notches to suit your eyes and a then take metal off the bottom of the slider to set the sight picture for 200 yards and go from there getting the settings for longer ranges. Make notes of the settings and when satisfied mark the settings with a sharp scribe and you will have a very nice practical long range sight. Finding a range to shoot longer than 200 yards is a bit difficult around here but by attending steel matches I'm good to 400 yards with the open barrel mounted sights. Have not connected at 500 yet but working on it.
johnl

Post by johnl »

I like the sign on the wall. Looks like you obey it :lol: Nice looking rifle.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I try to pace myself!