Patch Squeegee

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Patch Squeegee

Post by semtav »

patch squeegee.jpg

been looking for quite a while for one of these.
Found it at a second hand store on my way home today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gunlaker

Re: Patch Squeegee

Post by gunlaker »

Those potato ricers work pretty well. I mentioned to my shooting partner that I was going to look for one and he said "I've got three, take this one!". I've found that you want to dry them off when you are done shooting or they can start to rust.

Chris.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Didn't know what they were called or I could have probably found one on eBay a long time ago
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Yeah I'd never heard of them until a couple of years ago. We certainly don't have anything like that in our kitchen. I think it was Don McDowell that told me about them and what they were called.

Chris.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

I went the potatoe ricer route .
But found it just as good to simply squeeze my wetted patches between my palms.
Of course, I have been using "simply" distilled water to wet the patches.
Perhaps if doing the NAPA oil additive, I might not want to be squeezing in my palms.....
beltfed/arnie
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I used to wet my patches with NAPA oil/water in a baggie and then squeeze them between my palms, but found it more consistent to use the potato ricer. I still use the baggies/palms to recover the majority of the water/oil for reuse, but then use the ricer to remove the last small amount of excess liquid. I squeeze the ricer gently until liquid almost stops running from the ricer and the patches are just damp. Thus prepared, the patches leave no liquid in the chamber and still push smoothly down the bore (as long as it is done immediately after firing, while the fouling is still softer). I used to push patches just before the start of the next relay, but on warmer, drier days needed to use two patches. I've found no need for further cleaning during matches. YMMV, particularly with larger cartridges--all my experience is with ..40-65, .40-70, and .45-70.

Clarence