MVA scope mounting on a Rolling Block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Fiatmom

MVA scope mounting on a Rolling Block

Post by Fiatmom »

I am building a rolling block that will have a heavy barrel. The scopes I was looking at were a Leatherwood Malcom short scope or a MVA Winchester B scope. It seems as though I would have problems with the Leatherwood bases. Has anyone used a MVA scope on a rolling block and will the scope clear the hammer. The barrel will be 1.2 inches at the breech and 1.16 at 12 inches.

Nick
mdeland

Re: MVA scope mounting on a Rolling Block

Post by mdeland »

It's not really an issue as scope blocks come in different heights which will clear any hammer spur. Rollers have a lot of angular drop anyway right at the action so I don't anticipate any hammer spur clearance issues with even low scope blocks. The block spur is off set.
Dusty Ed

Post by Dusty Ed »

I have the long Leatherwood scope I had mounted on a rolling block with a heavy barrel ,no problem with scope clearance.
I just ordered a Malcom short scope with the mounts for a Win. 1885 when I received it was terrible it looked like it was 100 years old so I sent it back but kept the Mounts and then I ordered a MVA Model B when I received it I took to the Gunsmith and then he called me and told me He has to drill two holes in the barrel ,So I went and brought the Leatherwood mounts along ,we looked at the job and I told him I have the mounts from LW but he would have mill a few thousands off of them , 15 mins. later he had the scope mounted without drilling any holes and it works great.
Dusty Ed

Post by Dusty Ed »

I have the long Leatherwood scope I had mounted on a rolling block with a heavy barrel ,no problem with scope clearance.
I just ordered a Malcom short scope with the mounts for a Win. 1885 when I received it was terrible it looked like it was 100 years old so I sent it back but kept the Mounts and then I ordered a MVA Model B when I received it I took to the Gunsmith and then he called me and told me He has to drill two holes in the barrel ,So I went and brought the Leatherwood mounts along ,we looked at the job and I told him I have the mounts from LW but he would have mill a few thousands off of them , 15 mins. later he had the scope mounted without drilling any holes and it works great.