.303 PP bullet try 3

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

.303 PP bullet try 3

Post by mdeland »

This is my third try to make a good PP bullet for my two SMLE's. I've yet to shoot it but the dimensions should be correct now so we will see if the 3rd rendition works or not. Two wraps of .002 baking paper yields a patched bullet diameter of .313 at the lower half and the top half of the bullet is .3035 for a tight slip fit in the bore. I didn't put much of a point on it as it will not be used over 200 yards for clang and bang but at a hair over 215 grains would probably pole axe a moose with great efficiency if accurate.
I've been playing with the same mold just making slight nose diameter and shape changes. The last two attempts key holed at 25 yards. :lol:
Here are a couple of loaded rounds with bore fit shown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Re: .303 PP bullet try 3

Post by mdeland »

One more;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I stuttered ! :lol:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm using a taper crimp to start with on the patched bullet so it does not move at all even to twist it. It does have a snug slip fit into the chamber throat on the patch but does not curl it up so all seems initially correct to get it to shoot but time will tell.
I have seated the bullet as far forward as the RCBS loading die will allow so may have to make an inline seating die if I can't get the standard one to work.
I believe originally the .303 did use a pp bullet and black powder but don't have any loading data for it. This load is with 10 grains of Unique but eventually I will have to load her up with straight black and some duplex loads to experiment with. First thing though is to get a good PP bullet working.
Why a .303 you ask, well it's and itch I've been going to scratch for probably 20-25 years after reading and article or two on the subject.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I started trying that with a Siamese Mauser. First few attempts didnt go well. Still on the far back burner.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

What cartridge were you working on?
semtav

Post by semtav »

8x52R
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the original 303 black powder load used a jacketed bullet.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

No one else I know of is using a PP bullet at our monthly clang and bang matches and I thought it would be a good venue to get this project going again after so long in limbo until recently . I will probably use smokeless mostly but want to see what it will do with a BP and duplex load trial.
I am curious to see if PP can be feasible in cold weather and no lube without wiping or blow tubing. Cold weather acts much like a very hot and dry day in regards to fouling in my experience.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks Bruce, you are quite correct. I did a bit of research on the original BP cartridges after your post. I did see an article one time, if memory serves, that showed factory rounds in .303 and paper patched bullets, I think they were produced in India.
The research revealed the rifling needed to be changed when cordite replaced BP as a propellant to enhance accuracy. It was apparently a fouling issue causing the trouble along with the rather thin barrels used in the early versions of Lee and SMLE revisions.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Mike,

You should really do your research - just assuming things won't get you anywhere.... No go back and read some more in depth about the rifling change for .303 from Metford to Enfield rifling.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Mike,

You should really do your research - just assuming thinngs won't get you anywhere.... No go back and read some more in depth about the rifling change for .303 from Metford to Enfield rifling.
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

If memory serves me right the first original .303 load was highly compressed BP, don't remember if the bullet jacket was paper, copper or cupro-nickel.
Seems to me when the British switched to cordite the burning temperatures were very high (similar to acetylene torch) which ate out the throats in short order this is why they switched to Enfield rifling pattern.
I am open to correction.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

BP 303s were loaded with 70 grains compressed BP with a Cupronickel jacketed bullet.
I believe the compression was done in the straight case before it was necked the rest of the way to 303 cal.
Rifle was the Martini-Enfield.
I "messed' with some of these compressed BP loads in a Pattern 14 Enfield I had for a time and using 311299 bullets.
Velocities were pushing 1800fps.
beltfed/arnie