45-70 experimental rounds.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CaptnJack

45-70 experimental rounds.

Post by CaptnJack »

Howdy, all.
Over the past month, I have made up 5 ea of different PP cartages using different powder charges and compression using OE powder and a .060veggie wad with a two diameter bullet. I started at 65 gr with .150 comp and went up to .200 comp then two grans powder increments on up to 78 grans at .200 comp. all in all-around 80 rounds.
I have a 100-yard range on my property set up real nice or should I go to my local range (Friendship IN) about 30 minutes away and shoot at the 200 or further targets to get the best accuracy from the loads?
Woody

Re: 45-70 experimental rounds.

Post by Woody »

100 yards doesn't tell you enough. Spend a day at Friendship at the 200 and 300 yard line.

Woody

Well since Friendship is my home range, don't. :roll: I would try 50 feet. :roll:
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
desert deuce

Re: 45-70 experimental rounds.

Post by desert deuce »

A hodge podge of things that may or may not be helpful for you.

First, at your home 100 yard range and a chronograph you can determine a lot about your loads. Low extreme spreads single digits are good.

I have been struggling with OE in the 45-70 and tinkering in the 40-65 & 45-90 at silhouette distances. An acquaintance in obtaining better on target results than I suggested I start at .250 compression and increase. Got a few of those loaded and waiting for my chronograph to come back from repair to try them out.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!