Extreme bore leading

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Re: Extreme bore leading

Post by Lumpy Grits »

mdeland wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:21 pm I'm curious if bench rest people use the electrolysis foul out system ? That is usually a good indicator of what works and is safe to use.
Most BR shooters change out bbls every couple of yrs.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well the simplest way to remove leading is easy ,don't put bullets in the barrel without being patched first. Bobw
bobw
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

The worst leading I have ever had came from failed attempts at paper patching....
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

mdeland wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:08 pm Get a clean take off/spare barrel of 4140 steel and steel wool clean a spot to bright clean steel. Now take what ever bore solvent you use ,clean and dry the same area . Now use a clean white patch with the same bore solvent and rub the previously cleaned area. Is the patch still white or is it grey? There isn't any carbon , lead or jacket fouling on this barrel steel.
Mike,

I hear you. All I can say is when the bores of my Browning's and Shiloh Sharps are completely clean running a patch through with Break Free CLP does not change the color of the patch. It starts out a very light yellow from the Break Free and comes out the same color. And a white patch with degreaser comes out white.

BTW, I rarely use the electro-chemical cleaner, only when a bore is heavily leaded, but when used it does a fast an excellent job of removing all the lead.

As for copper removal, I've never had the need to use the copper solution in my BPCRs but have used it in rifles and handguns using copper jacketed bullets. My unit is the Foul Out 2. Brownells published two gun cleaning clinics on their web site using the Foul Out 3 with positive results. The Foul Out 3 was the last version sold and was a reduced current version which was most likely designed to mitigate damage due to miss use. If you'd like to read the Brownells results go to the following links:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/le ... ?lid=10710
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/le ... ?lid=12626

Concerning bench rest shooters, I expect they use either JB or some of the modern foam copper cleaners. Also, keep in mind the Foul Out models were discontinued several years ago and the solutions are no longer available.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

There is still carbon fouling to deal with regardless of bullet type used and I believe any type of petroleum product involved with cleaning or lube promote carbon fouling being cooked on. It looks to me like carbon is the bed that lead and jacket fouling laminate to from friction heat and pressure. You will note that in mold use carbon does not make lead stick but rather allows it to release from the mold. My guess is the difference is the intense heat and pressure found in a bore that is not present in mold use.
Carbon as well as lead and bullet jacket make the bore tighter where ever it sticks. Lead usually builds up in or just after a constriction and the bore starts to open up again. I think this is why lead fouling almost always shows up first in a barrel throat of most any bore initially.
Two things cause it ,heat and pressure. In the case where it forms in tight spots up bore I think the cause is primarily friction and when it occurs as the bore open up again it is gas moving past the base corner of the bullet (after being reduced in diameter) melting and taking the base edge with it and soldering to the bore. All you need to solder lead to steel is alloy, flux and heat which are all present when the light comes on in a barrel (bullet,lube,wiping solution and propellant heat).
The reason I don't believe leading in the throat is caused by gas blow by is because it it sealed off at this point by the front of the un-burned powder column and wad.
Kicking around some ideas!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

My comment about the Foul Out 3 versions is incorrect. It was indeed the last model introduced but it was actually designed with slightly higher voltage and current capabilities. For you electronically inclined guys the Model 2 provided 0.25v & was current limited to 100ma. The later Model 3 provided 0.3v & was current limited to 200ma. And there are many instructions on the Internet on how to design you own unit & mix the necessary solutions.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com