“Barn” Find

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Castaway

“Barn” Find

Post by Castaway »

Got a call from my brother in-law last night. His local gun store called him the other day and said they had a Sharps on consignment. Having one, he told shop owner he really didn’t need another but would come by anyway. Turned out to be a new-in-the-box Shiloh Sharps. Rifle was purchased in 2002 and the gentleman died before firing it. Brother-in-law bought it and can’t decide whether to shoot it, sell it or hang on to it. Model 1 SP or 1 5P (can’t tell which from attached tag), 30” barrel, fancy wood, pewtered fore end with standard Buckhorn sight. Question, would shooting it devalue the rifle?
ChrisF

Re: “Barn” Find

Post by ChrisF »

Why buy it to keep it in the box
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

The true value is in the fun and experiences you gain from shooting it. Left in the box it is valueless in my opinion.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it to the max! Learning how to load for it, shooting it, and getting to know and shoot with others who also enjoy Shilohs and similar rifles is an incredibly rich experience. I've been doing it for over 30 years, have learned a lot, met people from all over the US and a few from other countries that I count as friends, and look forward to seeing and shooting with these folks at local and national matches, and it all started with finding an available Shiloh rifle and jumping in.

Clarence
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Convince him to start shooting it.
I have a custom knife from a bud's dad. I talked to the maker and he wanted the knife used. His knives are very expensive now, but mine has a lot of memories attached. I bought a commemorative revolver over 40 years ago and folks cringed when I carried it on duty and competed with it. The revolver and i have some cool tales to tell.

Tell him to compete and hunt with that rifle. Every scratch will have a story years from now.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

To answer your question, Yes, I'm sure shooting it would devalue it. If he bought it for an investment to roll it, I'm sure it will be more valuable still untouched in the box.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

After my first Shiloh, I made a decision about 5 years ago that I would sell all the guns I had that were "in the box" or "unfired and an investment" and buy only guns I intended to shoot for fun, hunt with, or compete with. Never missed the ones in box - wouldn't part with the ones I am shooting. And that was the best investment I ever made. Load it properly and shoot it!