Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

art ruggiero

Re: Help me build a whitetail rifle

Post by art ruggiero »

that rigby is a beauty art
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Thanks for the nice compliments about my Rigby .40-70 SBN. It is a fascinating rifle.

I don't want to take away from this thread. However, there was a lengthy discussion of my Rigby quite a few years ago on another forum. If anyone is interested, here is a link: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... &fpart=all

If you go to that link, you'll find that it spans a few years. It starts out with photos and then has a long post about how I determined the chamber. You have to read to the bottom to see my satisfaction of getting the rifle properly sighted (needed a new rear sight) and up and running.

This rifle is a connection between the British rifle makers and an American cartridge. Quite an unusual find.

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Wow what an exquisitely made, beautiful rifle. Thanks for posting that other link, for some reason the earlier pictures did not show up for me.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

That Rigby shines alright :D What a great stalking rifle :mrgreen: . On the 50/70 as an option , I'd certainly give it another vote. Easy to load and a good performer without much mucking about. I ran the 1/36" rifling in mine with a 28" bbl. Sold it to buy another...and kicked myself since. I think a Business or Saddle rifle in 50/70 with a 26-28" bbl would be a magic field gun. I'm thinking a round bbl this time though which should put the weight between a standard & a heavy #1 octagonal. I'd certainly be an advocate for the 44/77 as well...and you can order cases through BACo that work just fine. The shorter 50 still delivers a healthy punch at realistic open sight distances and mine even performed well at a few gong shoots out to 800 yds. It did take a while to get there though . :wink:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
VBull

Post by VBull »

I've been using an old High wall in 30-40 krag on white tails. It has the 30" #3 weight barrel. With Unertl Vulture scope on top it is heavy to lug around. About 11 1/2 lbs. Not too bad in a stand. I suggest the 26" standard weight barrel. I also use a 38-55 in the Wesson & Harrington target rifle. Once I re-cut the chamber to handle bullets of .381 diameter it is very accurate and can be stoked to low end .375 Winchester loads. Worked fine on White tails and coyote this season. FM
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

My whitetail sharps is a Shiloh 74 military rifle witha shotgun butt ,checkered steel buttplate,double set triggers,dovetailed front sight in 45/70 cal.Military rifle also has the advantage of sling swivels and is not that heavy to tote around
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Since the military rifles are not in production now if I was wanting a Sharps for whitetail I d go with this

Military carbine
24 inch barrel
Shotgun butt with traditional steel buttplate
Double set triggers
45/70 cal
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Finally got around to taking a pic for you, from left to right is a 45-70, a 44-77 and a 44-60. The 60 was formed from a nickle rem 45-70 case. All stuffed with a PP bullet. The red 45 was powder coated as the bullets were just a bit small. The 60 case has some taper inside of the neck that might need to be reamed out at some point but that wouldn't be a problem for me but that is something to be addressed once a rifle is chambered and the rounds fire formed.
Sam
100_1305.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sackett

Post by sackett »

Looking that those three cartridges, I must admit, I am drawn to the 44-77. It just looks different and intriguing and cool, all at the same time.

thanks for posting that picture!!!
sackett

Post by sackett »

Figured I'd would give an update of what I ordered.

I wound up ordering a single-trigger Sporter # 3 with a 26" half round barrel in 44-77. Semi-fancy wood, AA finish, pack hardened, semi-buckhorn & blade sight, bedded and a steel shotgun buttplate. Also getting a rounded (non-ebony & non-pewter) forearm.

Already have dies and brass.

I am curious if anyone is using 1.5 OE (alread own for my 45-110) or would I be wasting my time and should starting off with 2F OE?

Anyone here using the Accurate Mold 44-385M (greaser) or 44-400P (tapered PP)?
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Why is the .44-77 (or is it the .44-75?) so handsome stuffed with a PP bullet?
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

just original to the cartridge in the late 1868 / 70 era art