Help me build a whitetail rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John Bly

Re: Help me build a whitetail rifle

Post by John Bly »

I'm going to jump in and recommend the 40/50 Sharps Straight in a #3 or Saddle rifle depending if you want a cheek piece. A 26" standard weight barrel would be my choice and if you want it lighter go with half round. A 350 grain flat nose bullet will get the job done. This should give you a good walk about rifle that will handle any deer in the North woods.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

And be cool while doing it. The 40-50 was considered an eastern bear gun as well as a mid range target round . It would do the job nicely and is cheap to shoot as well. I would second that choice.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bobw

Post by bobw »

I'll bring it up as no one else has. You will have no issues finding brass for a 50-70 as you would for a 44-77. I 'd be damned sure and already acquired brass for the odd ones before I spec'ed out a 3k rifle based on my selection. Bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

I'll bring it up as no one else has. You will have no issues finding brass for a 50-70 as you would for a 44-77. I 'd be damned sure and already acquired brass for the odd ones before I spec'ed out a 3k rifle based on my selection. Bobw
bobw
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

And that is exactly what I meant when I said, "The .44-77 would take a bit more work to get up and running than a .50-70...".

Brass is not a big problem for the .44-77, BACO is making excellent .44-77 brass for Shiloh's chamber. It may require some extra work to make it work best, but I have not had any problem getting it.

Brass for the .50-70 is no problem at all, Starline has excellent brass for it.

Any time you want to go with a Sharps cartridge that is less common or obsolete it is going to be more cost and likely more work than the .45-70, that does not mean it's not an option. Some of us just find the older cartridges more interesting than the ones more commonly in use today. If you're going to drop $2,500 or more on a Sharps rifle maybe you want it to chamber something you can't just walk into your local hardware store and see boxes of ammo for it for sale. Just my opinion.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Sounds like you have a idea of what you want for the rifles configuration. As for a hunting caliber if you want something other than the 45-70 then I would look hard at the 50-70. It's one of the original calibers and it has proved itself time and time again. Plus the cartridge case length is 1.74 inches per Starline's info. In some states that limit you to only straight walled calibers under 1.80 inches this is a perfect cartridge. Starline produces very good brass at a reasonable price plus bullet mould's are available from many sources.
So anyway that's my thoughts and they are only worth $.02 on a good day.
Dan
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well I guess if it has to be an original cbambering for whitetail that are usually shot at close to moderate range then a 50-70 would be tough to beat!
I'm gonna have to make a rifle in that grand ole chambering sooner or later!
Distant Thunder

sackett,

I just reread your original post again and if you are wanting to move to paper patch at some point either the .50-70 or the .44-77 are good choices. I have had very good results with paper patch bullets in both those cartridges, but the edge would go to the .44-77 just on the cool factor alone. If you have ever looked at the old pictures of the Sharps cartridges from back in the day, as I have, the one that stands out in the crowd is the .44-77 with and original style paper patch bullet hanging out of the cartridge. Not to take away from any other cartridges in the Sharps lineup, they all look better loaded with a paper patch bullet, but the one that screams, Pick me, pick me!", it the .44 - 2 1/4!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Distant Thunder

Mike,

The .50-70 is a pumpkin slinger and is pure fun to shoot! Everybody should have one.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Dang it Sackett, now you got me hankering to build another rifle! Guess I'll start casting around for another roller action for the 50-70 . :lol: I'm sure having fun with this old saddle ring carbine in 43 Spanish. We don't have white tail up here but plenty of Black tail on Kodiak.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

if you are in bear country, a 50 might be safer than a 40.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Luckily for me, I found one ready-made.

You do want something built on a Sharps action, so this is a bit off-topic. However, it was built in 1880 for somebody who wanted a hunting rifle, not a match rifle. It is a tangible reminder of how a sportsman answered your very question, back in the day.

It's a .40-70 SBN made by John Rigby & Co.

I can't think of anything more perfect for woods loafing for white tail deer.

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
Distant Thunder

CptC,

We can always count on you for pictures of beautiful rifles! That's another one and don't be afraid to show more pictures like that. Thanks!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
sackett

Post by sackett »

Man you guys are killing....now I need to buy at least 2 rifles......44-77 & 50-70 with another 2 in the bullpen: 40-70bn & ss

Eventually I might head towards PP, but for the beginning I found it's easier to start with GG and get dialed in first.

Getting brass doesn't bother me because of BACO. Plus, with owning a 45-110, I've managed to progress from the stretched 348 casings of 20 years ago to the Norma brass I use now and those cases weren't cheap either. i figure it's just part of the game of shooting & reloading.

I appreciate the input as I'm having a tough time figuring what to order because of the options out there.....and now with the thought of the 50-70, it's gotten even tougher.......LOL
sackett

Post by sackett »

[quote=CptCurl post_id=323271 time=1610112297 user_id=248708]
Luckily for me, I found one ready-made.

You do want something built on a Sharps action, so this is a bit off-topic. However, it was built in 1880 for somebody who wanted a hunting rifle, not a match rifle. It is a tangible reminder of how a sportsman answered your very question, back in the day.

It's a .40-70 SBN made by John Rigby & Co.

I can't think of anything more perfect for woods loafing for white tail deer.
[/quote]

That is a work of art! Thanks for sharing